Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Default Mbox 2 Mini and Windows 7?

Hi All,

I have a question I was hoping some of you pro tools users could answer:

I bought a mbox 2 mini a few years back and it came with protools 7.4. I used it on my old macbook and it ran fine. I wanted to be able to use protools with fruity loops (which only runs on windows), so I now have a PC with windows 7; however, there seems to be no standalone drivers for the mbox 2 mini for windows 7. I don't want to spend 150 on protools 8 LE when i already own 7.4, especially when i don't even really care to use protools. I also don't want to spend 90 bucks to upgrade to windows 7 pro for xp mode, just because AVID can't update their support - their just drivers for god's sake. I spent a couple hundred bucks on this mbox2 mini - I am very disappointed that avid/digidesign hasn't just released standalone drivers for windows 7, and this makes me not want to buy their products ever again. Any suggestions on what i might do so i don't have to dip into the wallet?

Thanks Guys!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Mini and Windows 7?

Your only real solution if you want to use your new computer an the MBox Mini with other software is to wait. Or upgrade.

Official compatibility with Windows 7 has only been available for about a month. Give the poor guys a break; they worked hard (and are STILL working hard trying to fix some things). I'm sure they will release standalone versions of the drivers soon.

There is another option, though. You could install XP on the macbook via bootcamp, and use the older version of PT with FL Studio.

If you aren't going to be using Pro Tools at all, (which you won't be able to with just the standalone drivers in W7) there are better options than the MBox MINI for an interface to FL Studio (or other programs). If you want to use Pro Tools, your only option is the upgrade.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 AM

Spkguitar,

Thanks for responding to my question. What better interfaces would you recommend? I read something about the Mackie blackjack - would you recommend that device?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 10:00 AM

The Presonus Audio Box is only $150 and has all of the features of the MBox 2 Mini plus it has MIDI inputs.

The M-Audio Fast Track Pro actually has all the features of the MBox 2 Mini plus even MORE features, is roughly $150 (if you shop around) and can even be used with a version of Pro Tools (though not LE, so you would need to shell out more $$$ for the MPowered version)

The Blackjack should work just fine as well.

I know many people really like FL Studio, but I really think that software is a piece of junk. And I own it. It does have some nice features, but IMHO it has more problems than Pro Tools! But... that's just me.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the input device suggestions, i'll check em out.

Ya, I hear that a lot about fruity loops. I think its one of those things that I've gotten really familiar with over time, and I can translate my ideas fairly directly and easily into it. I've tried some other programs - cubase, logic, ableton live, and it just takes twice as long for me to do the same thing. I also respect that fruity loops you buy once, and they send you the new version for free every time it comes out. They were also compatible with Windows 7 very soon after it was released, unlike protools. I have a feeling that protools has more complicated programming architecture, and it also has the hardware to deal with, but it is also industry-standard so i'd think they'd be a little more on top of their game.

Thanks Again for your help - if you have any suggestions on alternative DAWs, let me know.

-Dan
Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornard14 View Post
I think its one of those things that I've gotten really familiar with over time, and I can translate my ideas fairly directly and easily into it.
I can completely understand that. The comfort factor is important. Whatever works for you. I was just saying that it's got it's fair share of problems; more than Pro Tools IMHO, and it's probably because of this very fact:
Quote:
They were also compatible with Windows 7 very soon after it was released, unlike protools.
I really think they "rushed it to market" without really extensively testing it. But they've been doing that for years.
Again, I own it, and do use it occasionally for certain things, but IMHO there are much better products (Reason) that can do the same thing.

Quote:
Thanks Again for your help - if you have any suggestions on alternative DAWs, let me know.
Reaper is pretty straightforward and inexpensive.

The Reason/Record combo would both get you the audio recorder DAW and possibly replace FL Studio.