Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-15-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Latency issues

I'm on a HDX rig. I occasionally get latency issues and I'm trying to get this figured out once and for all. When I'm doing a mix I usually put the hardware buffer size up to 1024. I just tried doing that and am getting vocals that are not playing back in time with the song. If I put it back to say 256 the delay goes away for the most part but it doesn't feel like it as in the pocket as when it is at 128. At that level I get CPU errors. I'm running Aux subgroups out to a summing mixer and then returning into Pro Tools to a master bus. That track then goes to an audio track that I keep in input mode and record. When I'm ready to bounce a mix I hit record and let it run in real time. Is there something inherently wrong with this setup in terms of the way PT's handles delay compensation? Would love to get rid of this issue!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Latency issues

Curious why you are using Aux channels rather than straight hardware sends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-16-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnssn View Post
Curious why you are using Aux channels rather than straight hardware sends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Let me clarify, I'm using Aux's as subgroups and each one of those goes to a separate Stereo Master. So for example, drums sub goes to a master that outputs to 3-4, bass sub goes to a master that outputs to 5-6, etc. All of these are going to my summing box inputs.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM

You REALLY want to avoid running live recording tracks through any kind of bussing while tracking - it adds a bunch of delay that is not needed.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan IceWood View Post
You REALLY want to avoid running live recording tracks through any kind of bussing while tracking - it adds a bunch of delay that is not needed.
yes, I am aware of that, but that's not my situation. I've got a record enabled track at the end of my chain to bounce down my mix. Not tracking anything.

After more experimentation, this seems to be related to plugin induced delay. Is there a specific threshold of plugin delay that is just too much for delay compensation to handle?