Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-15-2002, 07:20 AM

Default preamp for drum

hello everyone..well i need suggestion on recording drum tracks..my drum set is ussualy 6 piece drums with lots of cymbals..4 crash, 2 ride, hihat, china trash etc..do we need to preamp'ed all those tracks? if so...can you recomend me for each section? i can get access for some best preamp but i need more specifique with this..any help would be appreciated
noequipment
Old 12-15-2002, 07:46 AM

Default Re: preamp for drum

Drums have quick spikes or transients at the very initial attack. Some folks like preamps that have fast response times to capture this. API is a great choice. Brent Averil makes a 312-based preamp that is just the trick.

Neves, although slower, are also great on drums if you like the color they impart.

Both the APIs and Neves will bring the sounds forward in a mix. people like them on kicks, snares, and toms. Some folks like a more neutral sounding preamp for overheads. I like APIs, or Focusrite Red1s. John Hardy, or Great River might be a good option here too.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:58 PM

thank you..but do i need to preamp'ed all? such hihats? cymbals? also some people here suggesting to use compressor..is that the right thing to do? my set is drum-mic-preamp-converter-computer...
noequipment
Old 12-15-2002, 07:02 PM

I don't mean any disrespect with this post.

You should buy a book on recording, or take a class or something. A mic preamp is not a choice, but a necessity. WHICH preamp is a choice, but you cannot plug a microphone directly into the line input of a converter. This is basic information, and since you lack it, I suggest a book on beginning recording information.

I really don't mean to be rude, just helpful.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:21 PM

The Universal Audio 2108 daul pre is great for kicks and snares.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:23 PM

PTUser NYC ...thank you for your suggestion..forgive me for my lack of knowledge..well i need guys like u... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
my problem is..here in my country..there's no reliable information about recording..older guys don't help much younger people.. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] lots of assuming and some people experience rather than true knowledge.. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] although there's lots of good equipment lying around in some recording studio [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] . ..but the quality of the record is far from satisfying...so i need help from you guys...btw..can you recommend me a good book to read? i am not sure i can get i here..but i'll try... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] once again..thank you...
Old 12-15-2002, 08:34 PM

send me your address and Ill send you a good book
to [email protected]
Old 12-19-2002, 12:35 AM

I'll second the opinion of the Averill API's, they are my favorites for tracking drums. Though it depends on how many mics are being used, if you're close mic'ing every single piece the money factor in buying all those pre's would be a bitch.

Maybe what you need is a decent console.