Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Pro Tools giving me a lot of problems

I just got my mbox2 about two weeks ago. I hadnt used it because I told myself I was going to reformat my computer completely and do a fresh install so I dont get any problems. I did that and installed all the windows updates. But there are two things that sometimes happen. One happens a lot and that is that sometimes I can record a small clip and playback from the beginning and it sounds fine. But if I try and click on a certain section of the clip and playback from there all I get is static. You can kind of hear the audio deep underneath all the static but its barely audible. If I click to another part of the clip (different grid line) it might do the static and sometimes its doesnt. I also tried experimenting with regions and stuff since I'm brand new to protools and if I play back from 0 it starts out fine but sometimes when it goes onto the new region it will start with the static again.

Another problem that is not so frequent but I feel I should mention is that I usually can record about a 2-3 minute clip. But sometimes if I try to add to it at the end of the clip (or anywhere for that matter) it'll record for about two seconds and then I see pro tools lock up. Then the monitoring goes out and then the whole computer locks up. Mouse doesnt move, nothing, so I have to do a hard reboot. I'll try to do the same thing and it'll do it again as well. I delete the session and start a new one and usually its fine as long as I try not to copy the exact procedure that I did last time.

Every session I do consists of me starting one up. Naming it, Creating two tracks (aux and mono audio). I load up the click for the aux track and load up native instruments gutiar rig 2 on the audio track. I dont have any mics right now since I'm just doing this to lay down some really basic and rough tracks. I set up a 2 bar countoff and start recording .. if I can.

Are there some updates that I'm not finding or something? I JUST installed pro tools and havent done anythign to it. I tried installing sampletank 2 but for some reason pro tools doesnt find it.

SiSoftware Sandra

System
Host Name : DEAF-51KJARZK6I
User : Zavier
Domain : WORKGROUP

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
Speed : 1.83GHz
Model Number : 2500 (estimated)
Performance Rating : PR2654 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache : 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 Processor(s)
MP APIC : No
System BIOS : Award Software International, Inc. F4
Mainboard : Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. nVidia-nForce2
Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Nvidia Corp nForce2 AGP Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 166MHz (332MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 512MB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 199MHz (398MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Dell P991
Adapter : RADEON 9800 PRO
Adapter : RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG SP1604N
Hard Disk : WDC WD800BB-00CAA1
Hard Disk : Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device
CD-ROM/DVD : JLMS XJ-HD166S
CD-ROM/DVD : HP DVD Writer 300c USB Device

Logical Storage Devices
1.44MB 3.5" (A:) : N/A
Hard Disk (C:) : 75GB (40GB, 54% Free Space) (NTFS)
Audio drive (D:) : 149GB (145GB, 97% Free Space) (NTFS)
Removable Drive (E:) : 972MB (658MB, 68% Free Space) (FAT)
CD-ROM/DVD (F:) : N/A
ipod cd (G:) : 527MB (CDFS)

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
USB Controller/Hub : USB Mass Storage Device
USB Controller/Hub : USB Mass Storage Device
USB Controller/Hub : USB Composite Device
USB Controller/Hub : Digidesign Mbox 2 Firmware Updater
Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse : PS/2 Compatible Mouse

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Standard Game Port
Device : Creative SB Live! series
Device : Creative Game Port

Printers and Faxes
Model : Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Model : hp deskjet 5550 series

Power Management
AC Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Network Services
Adapter : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
Old 02-23-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools giving me a lot of problems

You didn't mention what version of PTLE you're using. My version of the Mbox2 can with 6.8.1 and it would be a good idea to upgrade to PTLE 7 (which you can download free after you register on line) with cs 4 (check the stickies at the top of this forum).

I don't know if that will fix your problems, but it's a good start.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 PM

I cant believe I forgot to post that. And I was trying to make sure I posted all the information that I would need to. hehe. Yeah mine came with PTLE 7. I havent installed the cs4 because I was confused when I look in the downloads page. It looked like it was only an update for the plugins that come with PTLE or something so I decided to post here first. Thanks for the info though. I will definitely install it now. If anyone has an other great info please let me know. In case the update doesnt fix the problem. I've just been having some bad vibes from pro tools. I was kind of let down cause of all the problems I was getting. If he update doesnt work, could it be my system? Is it just too outdated or something?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:06 PM

Quote:
MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Standard Game Port
Device : Creative SB Live! series
Device : Creative Game Port

I would recommend taking that out.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 PM

[/QUOTE] I would recommend taking that out.

[/QUOTE]

I'm just wondering but do you recommend it because that could be the problem or because its just not a good idea to have that and the mbox2 installed?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:32 PM

It could be causing a problem. I had problems with it and my 001 way back when. Took it out, no more problems. Granted, the 001 was a different beast than the mBox2 is, but...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-23-2006, 10:01 PM

try taking it out just to test. if it doesnt fix the problem then you can reinstall it and at least know that it wasn't the culprit.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 PM

okay heres a weird thing. I just took out my sound card completely and it still gives me the problem though. I also installed the cs4 and still no go. The weird thing is that I just realized that its always in threes. on grid mode I can select the zero pointand then maybe the two grid lines after that and then the next three give me that static sound if I try to playback from there. The next two, sometimes three grid lines the playback will be fine but then the next three grid lines will give me the static if I try to playback from those points. And it just repeats. But its always three gridlines in a row that give static and then a couple of grid lines that give fine playback.