Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 AM

Default idrum?

Has anyone here on the DUC tried this:
http://www.glaresoft.com/products/idrum/index.html

Grant
Old 11-29-2004, 02:24 AM

Default Re: idrum?

Yes.

I first bought this little drum-machine / step-sampler program because I wanted a fairly flexible easy to use drum machine/sampler for use in Garageband projects (for my new Studio trainees), before starting them on the full Pro Tools rig and associated soft synths / samplers.

Although iDrum, at the time I tried it, was essentially a 'premium' shareware, I finally bought the full thing (which comes packaged in a DVD case with a manual). Since then, they have brought out an RTAS version (free to registered users) which works seamlessly with ProTools (and uses very little CPU).

The product still amazes me for the following reasons:

- ease of use
- flexibility
- stability

The sounds (which you can replace with your own samples / tweaks) can be combined in any number of ways, but the kits that ship with the full version, are worthy of some higher end software, and can used respectably in many compositions.

Glaresoft can also be proud of their development & support compared to many other companies. I recently had a problem with the (free) RTAS update and they fixed it in one day, posting the new version in my idrum account within hours.

Even though many people (like myself) may have other more sophisticated drum samplers or sources of beats, I totally recommend this piece of software for quickly developing your beats / transitions. Especially if you are used to step programming drum machines.
I even loaded a bank of vocals (instead of drum sounds) and produced some interesting effects by easy control of the velocity bars which may have taken me ages even using Sampletank 2. On top of that, iDrum is less processor intensive!

Note that this software was really intended to add some more control / sophistication for Garageband - it therefore shipped as an AU originally. However, it is now available as RTAS.

I am the first to admit that there are other samplers / programs out there (which I choose to use for my main projects in ProTools)...But, in short: It works in PT, and it works well !

Try the demo and see for yourself.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:31 AM

Default Re: idrum?

I bought this last week for 50.00 beans off of audiomidi.com after trying the demo. this thing is an amazing deal. easy as can be to use and great results. i have loaded some pretty strange samples and came up with some "out there" sequences. fun program.for the price everyone should have it.