How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 PM

Default Protools free trial. Trouble activating

Hi there.

I am new to Pro tools. I have had Media Composer for many years but now I need Pro tools so I have downloaded the free trial which got me to install ilok(which seemed strange considering I haven't purchased a license or dongle). I have installed the program but it will not go any further than the splash page. When I downloaded the trial it didn't see any specific information on how to install a trial. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Protools free trial. Trouble activating

Hi and Welcome to the Community

We do need more info on your setup in order to help. PC or MAC? model? Operating system version etc

Do you have an ilok2 ( the new non-keyshaped ilok ) as the ilok which is refered to as ilok1 is not working with PT11.

The more info the better

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Thanks for responding. I have a pc. I'm sure I filled out the info for my system but maybe it didn't come across.

Do you have to have an iLok key to trial the software?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslog View Post
Thanks for responding. I have a pc. I'm sure I filled out the info for my system but maybe it didn't come across.

Do you have to have an iLok key to trial the software?
You have to have an iLok 2 to install a trial license on. All that is well covered in the instructions. Don't just try to install this stuff, you need to follow the install documentation, make sure you system meets the minimum requirements, follow the post install systems optimization instructions etc.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:53 AM

So to use a trial I have to purchase an ilok2, really?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Yes as thats the copy protection feature chosen by Avid so you do need a Ilok2 and they are approx 40-50 USD but once you have that you can use the ilok2 for future plugins and PT11 and up. See it as an investment for future purchases as more and more developers who use ilok requires the new ilok2

Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 10-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:

No, all the instructions saying you do, and my just clearly already answering your question saying you do are in fact all wrong. You absolutely do not need an iLok2, in fact you don't need to read any documentation or do any planning or anything else. Just click you heels together three times and say "I wish I was running Pro Tools". If that does not work I can help you, with phone based trouble shooting for $60 per call if you buy a DSC (Darryl Support Code) on my web site (if it happens to be working).

Many Pro Tools users hate Pace/iLok with a vengeance. Including their horrible customer support, buggy software and problematic upgrades, but that is the licensing hardware that Avid forces everybody to have because they don't trust their users. Oh and be sure to check out the ZDT plans from Pace because if you misplace that iLok or it is stolen you really do lose that license. And prepare yourself to pay for mandatory Avid support subscriptions if you ever want to get upgrades to your Pro Tools purchase, read the other threads on DUC at the moment, that news is going over *great* with Pro Tools users.

Of course you could evaluate Logic Pro, Studio One, Reaper, or any other of many other DAWs that don't need an iLok, are not about to screw you with mandatory support subscriptions, simply cost less and are very capable products in their own rights.

Yes indeed, welcome to the DUC...
Old 10-17-2014, 10:43 AM

Deslog, please ignore Darryl today he seems to be extra grumpy today.

Yes you need an iLok v2 to use the Pro Tools Demo, Pro Tools doesn't licence the same way as Media Composer's demo (yes, it should).
Look at it this way if you want to use 3rd party audio plugins (RTAS/AXX depending on your version of MC) in MC you'll need an iLok for their authorization anyways.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 AM

No don't ignore me.... Look instead of a $60 DSC, I'll offer a $499 per year support plan where you can call me once a month to discuss installing Pro Tools demos. Now is that a deal, or what...

OK Sorry for the tone Deslog, but Pro Tools is just not something you want to tackle without very carefully reading the systems requirements (esp. having a required dedicated audio/session drive), OS and interface driver dependencies, following carefully the install instructions and the post-install systems optimizations (given in the install documentation). If you do not do all that carefully you are likely to fail and getting an iLok2 is just the start of this process. Any yes I want you to be very aware of issues users have around the iLok and Avid's coming change to Pro Tools licensing and support (which pretty much look like they will mirror Media Composer, so may be more OK with you). If you have problems during the eval start at the "Help us help you...." Link above on this Web page and provide the info asked for there and many of the fellow users here will try to help you out.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:33 AM

When I was to download trial I was to enter the iLok serial or something like that to download even.

Did they remove this, or where did you download it?