Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Pro Tools LE & Roland XP-30 MIDI compatibility

Hi there! I originally posted this in the M-Powered section, but now figure it'll be read more frequently here. I assume that my issue deals with LE in general.

I'm a newbie who has recently purchased ProTools M-Powered 7.3. The sound card I am using is an M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Everything seems to be working thus far except for MIDI signal reception, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm using a Roland XP-30 for a controller.... a device that is notably absent from the list accessed from the MIDI Studio Setup Manufacturer/Model dialogue(I see Roland XP-10, 50, 60 & 80 models can be selected).

Perhaps this problem stems from inexperience, but I'm wondering if this is the problem's source --and if so, how do I go about fixing it? Dude at the music store told me the XP-30 should work fine (it works well for straight audio input).

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE & Roland XP-30 MIDI compatibility

Hey man. You're in luck. I've been using my XP-30 with PTLE for years now. I have the Digi001 but that shouldn't matter. I am at work now, but maybe if you tell me exactly what you're having trouble with, and how you have it set up, I'll take a look at my connections and settings when I get home and I can help you get going.

Some general things to do...

Unless you have any super custom settings in your XP-30, do a factory default reset, which will set your XP-30 back to how it was fresh out of the box.

Are you merely using the XP-30 for a controller to trigger other midi devices? Or are you also using the XP-30 for playback?

As you probably know the XP-30 menu and manual might as well be in Latin, because it's cryptic at best.

Give me some more info and we'll get you going.

kip
Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I'm posting this from work now & am not too technically versed in music production so I'll try to answer your questions:

My setup is as basic as it gets --the M-Audio Fast-Track Pro SC is connected to computer via USB and the XP-30 is connected to my SC via MIDI cables & audio cable (the latter works fine). I'm using Sennheiser HD280 headphones. I built the computer a few months ago based on a Core 2 Duo E6600 & there isn't a weak component on it. It also has an SB X-Fi SC which I have disabled for MIDI (while enabling the M-Audio).

Quote:
Are you merely using the XP-30 for a controller to trigger other midi devices? Or are you also using the XP-30 for playback?
Right now I just want the most basic signal, anything, that indicates the XP-30 is communicating with the software. I've created a midi tracks and checked to see if a bar moves when I press keys or notes display when I hit record... nothing so far. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm having no trouble recording audio waves with this equipment & setup.

Quote:

Unless you have any super custom settings in your XP-30, do a factory default reset, which will set your XP-30 back to how it was fresh out of the box.
Interesting suggestion! I bought the XP-30 used a year ago and may have done so already, but it wouldn't hurt me to do it now. I'll do this when I get home.

I have the switch on the back of the XP-30 set to PC2 (manual recommended), and currently have MIDI THRU disabled, as I haven't seen success with it enabled (again, newbie here )

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 AM

I have factory reset my XP-30 in the past. Then didn't touch my Pro Tools for a while, but I did use the keyboard basically to just write and rehearse piano stuff, but I've had to reset it a few times. It's a really weird menu setup, and somehow things get tweaked, so it's always a good idea to reset. I've had times where I was going nuts over some particular thing not working, and after a couple days wasted, I factory reset and everything was fixed like magic.

I'm at work too, so I can't look at specifics, but when I do get home I'll look at my settings and all that and make sure we're starting from the same place. I know on the XP-30 you can get in there and turn on and off a lot of MIDI settings for each channel, that's why the factory reset thing is wonderful. No need to guess if it's set up right.

Let me know how you make out with the factory reset. If that doesn't work, we'll take it from there, but we will get you going.

kip
Old 03-19-2007, 08:39 AM

I have factory reset my XP-30 in the past. Then didn't touch my Pro Tools for a while, but I did use the keyboard basically to just write and rehearse piano stuff, but I've had to reset it a few times again, even though I didn't THINK I really changed anything. It's a really weird menu setup, and somehow things get tweaked, so it's always a good idea to reset. I've had times where I was going nuts over some particular thing not working, and after a couple days wasted, I factory reset and everything was fixed like magic.

I'm at work too, so I can't look at specifics, but when I do get home I'll look at my settings and all that and make sure we're starting from the same place. I know on the XP-30 you can get in there and turn on and off a lot of MIDI settings for each channel, that's why the factory reset thing is wonderful. No need to guess if it's set up right.

Let me know how you make out with the factory reset. If that doesn't work, we'll take it from there, but we will get you going.

kip
Old 03-19-2007, 07:24 PM

Hey whattayaknow, didn't have much time to mess around tonight, but it certainly appears that the Factory Reset (and flipping the switch @ back to MIDI) hath indeed put me in business!

Thank you very very very very very very very much SixChurchStreet, you are a credit to mankind
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 AM

Anytime, glad it was as simple as that. Delving into those XP-30 menus can be a bit harrowing!
Happy MIDIing!
- Kip