Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2019, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Reinstatement Promo! Welcomed!

Ok
I have a PTHD11perp lic thats just sitting
I Use PT 2019.10 since the annual fee untill recently was 99
Do/Should I: Sell the HD11.. but the person wont have a path to upgrade it after Jan1

get the "reinstatemnet at 600 [-40 promo] 560 total

Sell it as a full perpetual [ I dont have to use the reinstatement automatically, so I can "start it" when someone buys the lic]

plus theres a transfer fee of 80 I think..Thx Aphid

I talked 2x after looong waits to someone in the philipenes..that prob thinks " why is this moron caring about this when my country is going to be submerged in 20 years "

Maybe its me but if I cant figure out the sinking ship poilcy of the audio division.. I feel for the trained person on the ph

part of me thinks let it [the HD lic] sail into the sunset.
Or perhaps someone here wants it.. I really dont know what to do with this "thing"

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 12-18-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
Yeah but I don’t think that means indefinitely. Can you hold on to the reinstatement for years later and then activate it and then still have a year of updates and support going forward?
Hi Avid! Can someone please confirm or disconfirm this for us? It sure sounds like if you hold onto a reinstatement, when you activate it you'll have the year of updates, and could then buy a renewal plan at the end of that year. Is that the case?

For instance, my current plan is expired. I buy two reinstatements now, activate one in July of next year, then I'm good on updates until July of 2021. Then I wait until August of 2023 to activate my second reinstatement, and I'm good until August of 2024, at which point I can buy a renewal to stay "instated" (if that's still even an option).

I know this is probably not what you want customers to do, but I do feel that's it's your responsibility as a company to be very clear about whether or not it will work before people potentially blow money on extra reinstatements.

Thanks in advance!

-Evan Bradford

PS - if this scenario doesn't work, someone should contact VK, because they have a blog post essentially recommending this. Also, damn am I lucky that a link to that post happened across my FB newsfeed... I don't hang around on this forum too much anymore, and it would have been a real shock to find out I'm being forced onto subscription because I missed a one month window between announcement and doing away with reinstatements, which happened to be during the holidays.
evanbradford.com
clearlakerecordingstudios.com
feverrecording.com
Old 12-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Check whats included in your upgrade and that way you know. You will however surrender the licenses if it was bought or upgraded as a bundle.

Look on the ilok and if the licenses are together under the license dropdown of PT then you surrender that whole bundle.
Thanks Southsidemusic.
Yes, the licenses are together, but let me ask a dumb question.
Let's say I purchase the perpetual upgrade special for $200, can I just place the new license on a different iLok and keep my old licenses with the present iLok?
Old 12-18-2019, 09:38 PM

It’s still a horrendous business practice to strong arm your customers into this subscription
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtech View Post
Thanks Southsidemusic.
Yes, the licenses are together, but let me ask a dumb question.
Let's say I purchase the perpetual upgrade special for $200, can I just place the new license on a different iLok and keep my old licenses with the present iLok?
When you say ”old license” do you mean other plugins etc or do you mean the old PT license? If you mean the other plugins you have on the iLok now then Yes and you can place the new PT upgraded license on another ilok. Has to be a iLok2 or iLok3 though.

If you mean place the update on another iLok then no as that is just applied to the bundle of PT you have now so the only thing that changes with your current perp license is it wiil have a different expiration date. But you can add as many iloks as you want to your iLok account and move the licenses around to which ever ilok key you want as long as they are registered to the same iLok account and associated with your login credentials.

Sorry if I misunderstood your question, if so please let me know and myself or someone else will answer asap

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
It’s still a horrendous business practice to strong arm your customers into this subscription
I agree!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
If you mean place the update on another iLok then no as that is just applied to the bundle of PT you have now so the only thing that changes with your current perp license is it wiil have a different expiration date.
Still not clear. Here's what I'm thinking. When I purchase the PT perpetual upgrade, the new license is deposited in my iLok account. I then move the new license to a new iLok and keep my existing perpetual license on the iLok with my other plugins. In that way, my existing perpetual is not tampered with in any way.

Not sure if it works like this, but that's my limited understanding. Awaitng your guidance.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:30 AM

Ok now I understand, sorry for the missunderstanding.

You dont get a ”new set of licenses” and keep the old ones. You get one bundle and the older license you have now gets surrendered and the new bundle gets deposited in your iLok account and from there you choose where to put it.

So you wont have two sets of licenses.

Hope that clears it up a bit better

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Indeed, and unfortunate that people buy in. If the majority said no that would be the end of it.
I can keep making a living with the perpetual version I have for a couple more years at least without giving Avid a cent. We'll see what the landscape is like then.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
You get one bundle and the older license you have now gets surrendered and the new bundle gets deposited in your iLok account and from there you choose where to put it.

So you wont have two sets of licenses. Hope that clears it up a bit better
Yes, it's clear now. Thanks again Southsidemusic.

I was initially considering the upgrade because I really like PT, but will stay at 11.3.2.

Given Avid's disdain for its customers, I'm not going to continue any business relationship with them. It's going to get worst. Clearly a spirit of greed is directing the company.

I wish everyone well and hope that some day Pro Tools falls into the hands of a company who understands that a business exists not to make money, but to create value for its customers. Wealth is a natural consequence of creating value.

A Merry Christmas & blessed New Year to all.