Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Reinstatement Promo! Welcomed!

Is the reinstatement/ upgrade for PT8HD too? Or is it still just PT9 and newer
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Does anyone knows what happen if i let my plan lapses (in january 2020) and buy a reinstatement plan this december, wait in, say, september 2020 to use it?

1-Will it work?
2-Will i be able to purchase upgrade plans yearly when i get back, after using my reinstatement, not losing my licence? I dont want to go to subscription mode.

Thanks!

Luc
Old 12-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Does anyone knows what happen if i let my plan lapses (in january 2020) and buy a reinstatement plan this december, wait in, say, september 2020 to use it?

1-Will it work?
2-Will i be able to purchase upgrade plans yearly when i get back, after using my reinstatement, not losing my licence? I dont want to go to subscription mode.

Thanks!

Luc
Once you are reinstated of course then you go back to the normal upgrade plans (did you mean support and update plans?)

As far as working, if reinstatement plans are available at that time, then it will work. If you buy a reinstatement now from a reseller, i would think it would still work if you decide to apply it next year.. I think I see what the plan is.. to use the current version which you are happy with, and wait for something major to happen before you reinstate support & update plan?

I am not entirely sure so someone else should probably answer you that has a deeper understanding of the changed reinstatement policy.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Once you are reinstated of course then you go back to the normal upgrade plans (did you mean support and update plans?)

As far as working, if reinstatement plans are available at that time, then it will work. If you buy a reinstatement now from a reseller, i would think it would still work if you decide to apply it next year.. I think I see what the plan is.. to use the current version which you are happy with, and wait for something major to happen before you reinstate support & update plan?

I am not entirely sure so someone else should probably answer you that has a deeper understanding of the changed reinstatement policy.
Yes, I mean go back to support and update plan!
Exactly. I am happy with my system and I am not very fast on upgrading when a new version gets out. I often wait several months before installing a new version, I remember passing almost a year without upgrading even if my support plan was active.

So if being a reinstatement plan and waiting until a really great version comes out to buy it, that makes sense for me.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioluche View Post
Yes, I mean go back to support and update plan!
Exactly. I am happy with my system and I am not very fast on upgrading when a new version gets out. I often wait several months before installing a new version, I remember passing almost a year without upgrading even if my support plan was active.

So if being a reinstatement plan and waiting until a really great version comes out to buy it, that makes sense for me.

Thanks!
Yes but aren't they stopping the reinstatement?

Just to be sure I would contact avid ASAP, and ask:

"if i buy a reinstatement plan from an authorised reseller, will I be able to use it even in a year from now?"
Old 12-11-2019, 12:04 AM

I guess people will keep asking until Avid chimes in again and reassures us that reinstatement "does not expire and you are able to use it at a future time...

...FOREVER AND EVER!" lol

My hope would be that they make such awesome upgrades that people won't wait 10 years to reinstate. Avid's attitude/expectation is likely along those lines.

I think the greater probability is that they eventually stop offering new perpetual licenses and renewals, forcing you to lossgrade (LOVE that word! Credit Simon2065) to rental for new versions. By then, reinstatement holdovers would be so minimal that it'd probably hurt Avid's bottom line more to screw them than to honor them.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I guess people will keep asking until Avid chimes in again and reassures us that reinstatement "does not expire and you are able to use it at a future time...

...FOREVER AND EVER!" lol

My hope would be that they make such awesome upgrades that people won't wait 10 years to reinstate. Avid's attitude/expectation is likely along those lines.

I think the greater probability is that they eventually stop offering new perpetual licenses and renewals, forcing you to lossgrade (LOVE that word! Credit Simon2065) to rental for new versions. By then, reinstatement holdovers would be so minimal that it'd probably hurt Avid's bottom line more to screw them than to honor them.
lossgrade rocks! Yep they are *clearly* wanting to move ALL of us to a sub model, which is why they also threw in heat and the plugins..

of course.. they offered 99$ for the first two years, then 279 thereafter..actually making it a WORSE buy long term as far as $$$ spent are concerned.. and the joke is.. you lose you perpetual! I honestly do not recommend anyone lossgrade (lol again) and if you do go sub, just keep your perpetual.. you might need it some day.. just start a new sub.

Anyway, i got heat for 199 and the plugin bundle for 39 from altomusic (a second year from the one currently going) and paid $380 USD total for 4 years of support/update plan (thomann).. so...620 total till december 2023

let's compare

$200 for initial two years sub
then 560$ for the next two years after.

Do the math. and i own everything except the plugin bundle.

To get me to move to sub, it would literally have to be $99 PER YEAR - period. Flat cost. They can do 129 for all the plugins included as well as heat and aphex. Ultimate software 249 a year with everything.

That's where I am at, otherwise my perpetual will never leave me. Ever.

PS I wonder if I can transfer my heat license.. I hate the workflow.. took me an hour with it to decide.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:48 AM

I'm parking my rigs and not bothering with the reinstatement promo and certainly not going subscription. Avid doesn't deserve my money or loyalty especially in light of these latest strong arm tactics. Ridiculous.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I am not sure why they would continue to sell perpetuals if no reinstatement’s are available - like reinstatement is not even part of the long term plan - just do away with the reinstatement

Just get rid of perpetual and go with Subscription like you want
It does look like it’s slowly heading that way. They are handling this strategically. Doing it this way they can soften the blow. You can see the logic in it. If they just all of a sudden said there will be no more perpetual license’s, reinstatement’s, upgrades and going forward we are now only offering support, bug fixes, and new features through subscriptions it would send shockwaves uncontainable. I guess we will see but I will tell you one thing no one will be surprised. It looks like nows the time to start forming a backup plan for your business/hobby.

Last edited by zion; 12-13-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Another way to look at it is since they doubled the price of renewal, reinstatement is redundant. It used to be 99 for renewal, 299 for reinstatement. Next year it'll be 199 for renewal, 599 for a new license, or for all intents and purposes, reinstatement. In other words, getting the latest version and perpetual use on your own schedule will still be 3x the yearly renewal price.

Avid has always been the most expensive in the field, owning or renting. So at least we can rely on that.