Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 AM

Default 192 Optical vs Digital output weirdness

PT Ultimate.

I'm using a 192 Digital and a 192 Analog, but I'm having the same confusing issue trying to set up ADAT Outputs for headphone mix monitoring.

In the 192 Digital, the first bank of outputs allows for either Optical or Digital outputs, and the second bank only has the option of Digital output. The Hardware Preferences show AES/EUB or Optical SPDIF.

The thing that is weird is that when I choose Optical SPDIF (which I know is not what I actually want) I get signal on channels 1-2 of that bank, and if I choose Digital output AES/EUB I get signal on channels 5-6 on the same bank.

With the 192 Analog and it's single bank of ADAT, the options are identical to the second bank of the 192 Digital.

I don't understand why I'm not able to get 8 channels of ADAT out, but only 2. These are being sent to a Behringer ADA8000 to feed a headphone amp. The inputs from the ADA8000 are no problem 8 channels of ADAT.

Is this a strange development since the evolution of PT Ultimate? These names also appear in the IO tabs, which is confusing since the Digital output is actually still Optical.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Default Re: 192 Optical vs Digital output weirdness

Hi, welcome to the community.

IO setup only reflects what is configured in the Hardware Setup, no need to worry about that. Just take a close look at the HW setup and it should sort itself out.

ADAT is only available 44.1/48kHz, SPDIF up to 96kHz, AES/EBU up to 192kHz
Old 10-11-2019, 05:54 AM

Default Re: 192 Optical vs Digital output weirdness

Thanks for your reply

It is the hardware set up that is distinguishing between optical and digital outputs. The I/O is set correctly, and everything is clocked at 48 kHz.

In the Hardware Set up, there are options between Digital and optical AES streams, but ADAT does not appear as an output format. What is weird to my understanding is that I am able to get two channels of output with one setting and two different channels about put from another setting, but in no setting am I able to get eight channels.