Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Avid

Default Re: Intel iMac 3.06 GHz not \"Officially Qualified\"

Quote:
"I am having issues and it would be nice to have them resolved or at least for you guys to actually get an iMAC in the shop and test it"
I'm really not sure what the problem is with your system. We DO have your same model here in TS and it's working great.

I'm going to see if there are any other suggestions we can come up with - it won't be until tomorrow as our day is ending here and I'll need to get on that machine and go through it to see if there may be other contributing factors.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Anyone else running Pro Tools fine on their iMacs? I know i can't be the only one.

well, there is one post written by me just before yours. so, read it. sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have several Waves' bundles (5.9.7) and all run great.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
"I am having issues and it would be nice to have them resolved or at least for you guys to actually get an iMAC in the shop and test it"
I'm really not sure what the problem is with your system. We DO have your same model here in TS and it's working great.

I'm going to see if there are any other suggestions we can come up with - it won't be until tomorrow as our day is ending here and I'll need to get on that machine and go through it to see if there may be other contributing factors.
Thank you so much, let me know if you need anything further from me.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM

So I might be on to something after all:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...-feb-08-a.html
Old 06-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Tomas, based on the Gear Slutz info, what are you thinking?
Also, did you hear back from Mr. DigiTechSupt today?

Regards,
Vogger
Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Tomas, based on the Gear Slutz info, what are you thinking?
Also, did you hear back from Mr. DigiTechSupt today?

Regards,
Vogger
No I didn't hear back but they were probably busy testing.

From what I can gather (and keep in mind this is one man's opinion) based on my experience and other people having my same issues.

1. I believe the issue is with the generation of apple machines that got this Firewire chipset (as they described in the other post) Bad design!!!!!

2. now based on the fact that my macbook works flawlessly and its only 2 months old and uses the same chipset brand leads me to believe that this Chipset/Firmware was revised and the original issue fixed on the latest generation of Macs, I am hearing of people running them with no problems.

3. Only DIGI can come up with an official answer on this.

4. If you look at apple's posted firewire specs by model and revision you'll notice the low voltage assigned to each of the firewire ports on these, and also both firewire ports share the same bus.

I could be full of it....

You might be lucky with the new iMac as I am lucky with the macbook, I am not holding my breath that anyone is going to find a fix to my current situation as I think is a done deal but well see.

I just went to the apple store on wednesday and bought me a refurb MacPro 8-core. Why refurb? because it is the only DIGI supported MacPro as of yet (I really wanted the new one but oh well, don't want to do the same stupid thing)

Hopefully these don't have the same issue as I believe they were the April 07 run of machines and by that time I don't believe they were using that new firewire chipset.

Let me know if you have any questions.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...mentation.html
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Thanks very much, Tomas. Realizing the depth of these problems makes me just want to keep using my Digi001 and G4 Quicksilver! Hopefully Digi will have a more definitive answer soon. I just can't afford to spend $4000-5000 on a system that doesn't work.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Digi

I really appreciate your answer

thank you for taking the time to respond

very thorough!

I'll make sure I disable this now
PT Ultimate
Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Tomas, if everything has hit a cement-wall, have you tried running
PT with Windows/bootcamp on your Imac 3.06?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Tomas, if everything has hit a cement-wall, have you tried running
PT with Windows/bootcamp on your Imac 3.06?
Oh hell no, lol windows will probably be the last thing I would ever do again.

Nah, I found a solution to my problems....... macpro 8 core.

Not the newest one as it hasn't been certified so I ended up paying premium for a generation old machine just cause we are not getting the certs fast enough.

Run beautiful under leopard and 7.4.2.

Had a little problem finding the 003 at first to perform the firmware update and that made me suspicious of the 003 but once it finally did it was fine from there (Cross my fingers). I can't help but think that there is something fishy on the firewire/power of my 003 but only time will tell, I heard they fixed the harness issue that the 002 suffered from on the 003.