Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 03-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Default C|24 Pros and Cons?

Hi. I'm mulling over the possible purchase of a C|24. There are very few reviews of the board on the web. I like that the scribble strip has more characters than my Digi002 console. However, I wish it had lightpipe.

I've started a list of pros and cons. Care to add anything?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Re: C|24 Pros and Cons?

See my comments here: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=295727 . Think of it as a control surface and not like an analog board. I originally bought my Control 24, and then the upgrade to the C/24 because I am an old "analog guy" and just wanted the feel of a board beneath my fingers instead of a mouse. It works great for controlling a lot of the functions of ProTools outside the box, and having the 16 extra pres is nice, but they are not anything special. You will still want other dedicated pres for critical components like vocals, accoustic guitars, etc. On the other hand, if you are just doing rough demos and whatnot, the pres on the C/24 will do just fine.
I'm sure you know this, but the C/24 is NOT an interface. You still need some kind of box the get into your computer and PT with your audio signals. Bottom line is that I really like mine, but I probably don't use it for all the functions I should given what it costs. In my opinion, unless you really get good at using it and master all the functionality it has, the C/24 definitely falls into the "nice to have" category rather than the "must have" category. Hope this helps!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 03-19-2011, 12:37 PM

Yeah I knew I'd be keeping my 002 as a digital interface. If only the C|24 had its own A/D and D/A convertors and firewire in/out. But somehow magically didn't cost a cent more. That would be nice.

I have an old client who mixes his own tracks, but needs me to set up EQ and plug-ins. He's a bit of a computer-phobe. He could do his own mixes without my help if I had a board that imitated as closely as possible an old-school analog board layout, with dedicated knobs for EQ and effect send levels. I do wonder if a luddite such as himself would be able to learn the C|24 without too much difficulty.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
If only the C|24 had its own A/D and D/A convertors and firewire in/out. But somehow magically didn't cost a cent more. That would be nice.

How about if it had the exact A/D & D/A that the new HD/IO has AND functioned as the interface? Now THAT would be special. Kinda like a gigantic HD version of the Digidesign 003 on steroids. Now THAT'S something I would buy!!

I have an old client who mixes his own tracks, but needs me to set up EQ and plug-ins. He's a bit of a computer-phobe. He could do his own mixes without my help if I had a board that imitated as closely as possible an old-school analog board layout, with dedicated knobs for EQ and effect send levels. I do wonder if a luddite such as himself would be able to learn the C|24 without too much difficulty.
From what you've said, I don't know how well he would like the C/24. For just mixing track levels, he would be OK. But trying to toggle between the send to the EQ, and then to the Reverb, and then to the Compressor,..........I think he would get a little frustrated without a dedicated knob for each send he was wanting to use. It's just not enough of an analog board for guys like that, so I don't know how much he would like it. Besides, he is still working inside that computer he hates so much, so it may be a no-go anyway.

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM

For those with the 002(or 003) controller, thinking about the C24, you will want to trade for the rack version of your interface. I seem to remember that the controllers will "lock up' the first 8 tracks so the C24 will not be able to control them. I like the C24 plenty(except for the price). The only gripe I have is that the transport buttons are on the right and I much prefer having them on the left. I actually bought a Presonus FaderPort so I can have that when working on the C24.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2011, 12:55 PM

In that case, can I just unhook the Digi002 and use my Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 as my interface with Pro Tools 9? (I've used the StudioLive with PT9, but not with any surface controllers attached.)
Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 PM

I have installed my new C24 this afternoon! I have bought it after quite intensive thinking process and also after a bad experience with an overpriced HUI controller, the SSL Nucleus. I have it on for about four hours and I already love it. The build quality is FAR superior to the Nucleus (I've learned that the SSL logo on the unit doesn't automatically mean quality, and I've learned it the hard way), the Nucleus or the Artist Series feel like a toy compared to the C24. Also, faders feel nice, again, big difference from the Nucleus - the fader caps are traditionally shaped and made of aluminium, compared to strange round nickel-plated plastic caps (on a $5000 controller!). Anyway, the C24 will definitely need some learning process to take a full advantage of its capabilities. I mean I've read the manual three times before I bought it, but it will still need some time for me to be able to control it naturally, without thinking, where the hell is that button, or how the hell I get off the channel mode.

So, to make it short:

PROS:
- Full integration with PT
- The smallest PT controller which can be called "console"
- Digitally controlled analog 5.1 monitor section with TB/LB and multiple inputs - this is kickass, considering the fact that a standalone one would cost half of the C24
- Offers very fast workflows once you learn how to use it properly
- External PSU - generally a good thing after experiences with Control 24
- Preamps - they may not be anything special, but might come handy
- JOG wheel without detents... I hate detents.
- Build quality in general
- DB25 connections - ideal for a connect-and-forget installations in studio

CONS:
- D-Command is better
- DB25 connections = extra costs for cables
- Main monitor input is wired L:1, R:3. It can be a problem for people with surround setup when montoring in stereo in certain situations.
- You have to learn it before you can use its full potential.
- ProTools only, no EuCon so far. It doesn't bother me personally, but I think that with EuCon, Avid could easily sell more C24s instead of Artist Series. Also, the ability to switch to EuCon temporarily and control a sound interface's DSP mixer (like RME TotalMix, Maestro, etc.) would be very handy now with PT 9.

Anyway, I'll keep learning and hopefully get faster every day.
Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 03-29-2011, 04:08 PM

I've read a couple posts by people who complain about lack of sufficient volume (on the submixer?). Is that something they're doing wrong... or is that a design and/or software/firmware flaw?

-Dale.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:58 PM

Dale,
I haven't tried the submixer yet as I still need to find some time and make those snakes. I'm actually curious too, despite the fact that the submixer is the least important thing there for me. I'll definitely post results after I get the submixer connected, but can't really tell when will that be.

But anyway... the C|24 can be taken from me only over my dead body. I have found a completely new way of controlling Pro Tools... I have my keyboard just for editing (as the console doesn't have the A, S, D, F, G, B, X keys) and naming tracks. I didn't actually expected it to be that good.

Tom

2010 Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, OS X 10.6.6, PT HD 9.0.3, Mbox 2 Pro, C|24
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM

I'd say a majority of what I do is editing. I'm constantly moving regions around, playing with the time expansion controls, inserting sound effects etc. (I produce radio ads mostly.) So I guess I shouldn't allow the keyboard to wander too far.