Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-08-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Help please-Broadcast mix seems quiet compared to other shows on network.

Hi guys, I'll get right to it. I am working on mixing a series for TV and episode 1 just aired. It passed QC with flying colours to an A85 -24LKFS spec, which came from the broadcaster. I mixed it to the spec perfectly, but when I went to watch Episode 1, it seemed quieter than the shows before and after. I PVR'd it to be able to go back and make sure I wasn't hearing it incorrectly and it is a few Db quieter.

My reference tone is correct as well at -20.

Any idea as to why this may happen so i can adjust moving forward on mixing this series?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been an amazing resource over the years.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Help please-Broadcast mix seems quiet compared to other shows on network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantom View Post
Hi guys, I'll get right to it. I am working on mixing a series for TV and episode 1 just aired. It passed QC with flying colours to an A85 -24LKFS spec, which came from the broadcaster. I mixed it to the spec perfectly, but when I went to watch Episode 1, it seemed quieter than the shows before and after. I PVR'd it to be able to go back and make sure I wasn't hearing it incorrectly and it is a few Db quieter.

My reference tone is correct as well at -20.

Any idea as to why this may happen so i can adjust moving forward on mixing this series?

Thanks in advance. This forum has been an amazing resource over the years.

Spec is -24 +-2, so mix to -22!!

Im not kidding!!
Old 12-09-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Help please-Broadcast mix seems quiet compared to other shows on network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Spec is -24 +-2, so mix to -22!!

Im not kidding!!
Ya the real spec is -22 - -23. Try to keep your loudness range low if you want to compete and your show doesn’t need lots of dynamics. Some shows feel quieter but have more dynamics which push the loudness meter up and that’s fine too.