Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 01:28 PM

Default tons of questions for you all

I posted a message the other day about Direct Boxes, and I'm back with more questions. What is a "High Pass Filter" (that is measured in Hz?? and....What exactly does balanced (XLR) throu-outputs mean compared to standard?? (or ..is that standard and i am just dumb and don't know any better?) all replies are greatly appreciated, and any other info for equipment dumb people.
P.S. ...What is an Optical Splitter???
Old 02-26-2002, 02:17 PM

Default Re: tons of questions for you all

A HPF is basically an EQ filter that allows High Frequencies (above an assigned frequency that is measured in Hz) to Pass. Also known as a low cut filter or a rumble filter depending on the cutoff frequency.
Balanced XLR's are not standerd. They are normal and recommended, but sometimes can be unbalanced.

Hope this Helps,

MasterJ
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2002, 02:20 PM

high pass filter will allow high sounds through and stop low sounds. The pitch of sound is measured in Hz and KiloHerz (thousend Hz). An Example: you have a singer and on the background there is some rumble. When you apply the highpassfilter and adjust the settings right, you can eliminate the rumble.

Balanced connections have 3 wires (ground, hot and cold) wich will help to reject interference picked up in the cable. You can connect balanced in/outs with an xlr or trs connector. The XLR is rather large and has 3 pins (or holes) inside it. TRS stands for tip, ring, sleeve, and is just a standard 1/4" headphone jack. for balanced operation it is wired like this: t=hot, r=cold, s=ground. It is possible to mingle balanced and unbalanced connections or cables, it is not recommended.....balanced is better!

Hope this helps a bit

Bastiaan
Old 02-26-2002, 02:22 PM

that does help, thanks a lot....I have a million of questions for people on here, and you guys are guru's, I love it..always so precise and helpful, thanks a lot...keep your eyes pealed for more Q/A's. thanks..

What is an Optical Splitter?