Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2015, 03:07 PM

Default Opinions on converting an old Server to Pro Tools machine

I'll be picking up a 2U rack server on Saturday and converting it for Audio production. Even if it ends up not working out for Audio stuffs...for the price I am paying, I can't pass it up. I'll still have plenty of fun tinkering with the machine. Basic specs below:

2U Rackable half depth system
1x Tyan S7012 Motherboard (SSI EEB Form Factor)
2x Intel Xeon X5650's (six cores at 2.66Ghz)
72GB DDR3 ECC Reg Ram (4GB Dimms)
2x SATA 1TB HDD's (Six SATA ports and two SAS's) - will likely be swapped out
Onboard ICH10R Raid Controller
Onboard Quad 1Gigabit Ethernet ports
Onboard Dedicated IPMI 2.0
450W PSU - Will likely be upgraded
Five PCIe x8 (Four usable slots)

The man issues I expect to face are in implementation of my RME RayDAT card (as it is not low profile) but I should be able to compensate with a riser(flex cable). Low Wattage PSU (that I can't find recommended replacements for online and will have to wait until I look at the thing before finding a suitable replacement). And, the lack of GPU expandability (which I will likely use a 16x female --> 8x male PCIe riser - Flex cable to accommodate). I only care about adding a GPU for use of dual monitors since the onboard graphics won't allow for that and I refuse to mix on a single monitor.

I plan to pick up 3 or 4 like branded HDDs (possibly raptors) to run in RAID 5 with a SSD for the OS (Windows 7 x64 pro).

Will mainly be running Pro Tools 11 (non HD). I don't intend to use this machine for gaming or media.

I am slightly concerned with airflow due to the size of the case and the fact that it will be in my rack with my other gear.
This is my first real journey into the world of server machines so any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Opinions on converting an old Server to Pro Tools machine

a real server case is going to be LOUD do to fans/air movement
also most servers have 2 or 3 PSUs
I would get SSDs for audio and system drives and do a RAID 5 with Green or Red drives for backup

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-27-2015, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Opinions on converting an old Server to Pro Tools machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
a real server case is going to be LOUD do to fans/air movement
also most servers have 2 or 3 PSUs
I would get SSDs for audio and system drives and do a RAID 5 with Green or Red drives for backup
Just don't record to those green drives. You might solve a few issues by moving everything into a 4u case(the RME would fit and you would have more space for drives). In any case, it could be a fun experiment. I would hold off on drives until you find out if its compatible with Pro Tools.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave