Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2010, 09:14 AM

Default Mac/ 10.5.8 Audio Clock Error

Hello,

I'm sorry to re-post this problem but I haven't got anyone to turn to. I haven't gotten any responses and I'm under deadline to get a recording out.
I hope someone can help me....

'Problem detected with audio clock.
Check clock source and sample rate are correct.'

I have this set up:

Mac/ OS 10.5.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00

Using Protools 8.0.1

Digi Rack 002

External hard drive:
G-TECH 465.8 GB Firewire drive
with FW800 and a 1394b / 1394 Firewire cable (to Digi Rack 002)
and a cable from the External to the computer: 1394b

This is a new G-tech drive that is replacing an old one that was on the brink of death. I sent that one back to G-Tech and they nicely sent the new replacement in two days! I excitedly plugged it in and cranked up Protools and pressed record to find this miserable error message. Why it's having a problem when I changed nothing - I just don't know! The hard drive sees the digi rack but no audio. I've seen other people have this problem but in windows not mac. I would love for some one to treat me like a dummy and tell me step by step on how to approach this problem. I'm not well versed in technical lingo - a lot of that just goes over my head and I have to crack the books just to understand what people are talking about. I do hope someone can help me - or know any one in the Durham, NC area that I can call.

I just want to get back to recording like I had been before changing to a new external hard drive.

Please help and thank you in advance.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Mac/ 10.5.8 Audio Clock Error

Did you reformat that new drive before using it???
Did you check your session setups?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 AM

I suppose I didn't reformat the drive when we got it - I just partitioned it straight away - hooked everything up - thought I was going to town and went nowhere! I'm a bit confused on how to do my set-up.

When I opened a new project I had it set for 24 bit at 44.1 The clock was set to Internal as far as I can remember. I'll have to check. If you can give me things to look for and I can follow the steps to do it.

I haven't got much in the new hard drive yet - so re-formatting it and re-setting the partitions won't be a big deal. I didn't see any drivers or things that needed to be installed on the CD that came with the new Hard Drive. It pretty much said that it was ready to use right out of the box. So that's what I did. I know that the External and the Digi see each other - so I don't think it's the cables (though they are different than the old ones / the fire wire in and out plugs on the external are that chunky, boxy 1394b's and the fire wire in/out's on the Digi are just plain old style 1394's) Thank god G-Tech sent me a cable that had one of each on the ends!

Thanks so much for helping I don't know what I was going to do if no one responded to my problem.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 03:37 PM

Don't partition the drive.. just format. Mac Extended Journaled.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 AM

I re-formatted the drive - no partitions Mac Extended Journaled. It didn't help.
I got the same error massage / then after a computer restart, I couldn't open a new session because I got a message:
'Session must be on an audio record volume. If permitted, set the volumes(s) in question to R (record) in the workspace.'

I suppose when my computer asked if I wanted time machine to use it as a backup disk, I only had two options Cancel or OK. I thought the cancel pertained to the formatting of the drive so I said OK. I figure I don't want that to be on the disk so I'm reformatting by erasing everything to zero - then I'll reformat to Mac Extended Journaled.

Please let me know if what I'm doing is right. Or if that wasn't the problem.
Thank you.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM

hey man. did you ever get this resolved because i am having the exact same issue and in the middle of a project. i wonder if its the new g tech drive. all my older model g tech drives but since i got TWO new ones both are doing the same thing.

tech support for both g-tech and digi couldn't figure it out.

THANKS!!!!

PT 8.0.4
mac 10.5.8 macbook pro unibody
g tech drive (2 fw 800 ports)
Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbar View Post
hey man. did you ever get this resolved because i am having the exact same issue and in the middle of a project. i wonder if its the new g tech drive. all my older model g tech drives but since i got TWO new ones both are doing the same thing.

tech support for both g-tech and digi couldn't figure it out.

THANKS!!!!

PT 8.0.4
mac 10.5.8 macbook pro unibody
g tech drive (2 fw 800 ports)
Can you try putting your session on the internal drive, disconnect the G-Tech drives and test again?

To put your session on the internal drive, do a 'Save Copy In' and, in the options window that comes up, choose to copy all audio files and choose your internal drive as the location you want to save to.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Hey thanks for the reply. by internal drive you mean on my computer itself? i thought that that was always a no no......thanks again
Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbird View Post
If permitted, set the volumes(s) in question to R (record) in the workspace.
Did you set the drive to be able to record?

Also, you do not want this drive to be your Time Machine. Just have it as a dedicated audio drive.

Get another drive to back up, Time Machine drive. Get one that is at least twice the size of your Mac HD. Do not have Time Machine set to back up on a schedule. Turn that off and back up manually when you are not recording.

Did you read all the troubleshooting stuff? Turn off Spotlight Indexing on the drive etc etc.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)