Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-20-2010, 11:27 AM

Default So what if I have an old Mbox and Snow Leopard? no CoreAudio?

Hi there,

I have a MacBook with Snow Leopard and I would like to use my MBox as the sound card so iTunes, Transcribe or whatever (not proTools) gets its way to my monitors.

I do not need any PT support. In an iMac with Leopard this task is done by the CoreAudio Manager and setting the audio card on the system Preferences etc..

I read the compatibility grid and it seems that:

1.- Standalone version 7.4 of CAM is not supported for Snow Leopard
2.- Standalone v 8.0.3 of CAM is supported for Snow Leopard BUT not for Original Mbox.

Can anyone help me?

I am just a trying musician who would like to benefit from technology to improve my skills, but is geting fedup of what seems a constant rip off (I pay my licences).

Did it really take more than a line of code so CAM 803 had been compatible with original Mbox? Shall I pay for a new Digi product until the appearance of a new feline?.

Is there any drive that works with Snow Leopard and original Mbox?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Default Re: So what if I have an old Mbox and Snow Leopard? no CoreAudio?

You are out of luck, my friend.

If you wish to continue using Digidesign/Pro Tools with SL, you will need a new interface.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-20-2010, 12:29 PM

Sorry but you must realize that you got eight years of life out of that product assuming you got when it first came out. I know it's frustrating but they've got to put an end of life support to and older device sometime.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
Sorry but you must realize that you got eight years of life out of that product assuming you got when it first came out. I know it's frustrating but they've got to put an end of life support to and older device sometime.
Yes. Poor corporations. They must make profit. What a horrible burden.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 20 GB RAM;
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
RME Fireface UC, M-Audio Keystation 88es + Akai LPK25 (USB);
Old 02-21-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
Hi there!

I'll be downgrading to Leopard. I'll let you know if I solve this. Thanks for the entries.

If this does not work I'll be moving back towards analog (remember when you had to hold up and back the cue of the record player to figure out a solo from a Vinly record? that was more bearable than dealing with IT technologies corporations and their products... just take a look at any discussion board around any software/hardware product out there.

As for the eight years of product life that is not taking into account the several upgrade "mordidas" the corporations gently ask for during their products life (does not matter if it's Digidesing, Apple Corp, Microsoft etc...).

Cheers,

Juan
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 AM

Ah...the joys of progress. BTW I have a Tascam Syncassette for sale.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 02-22-2010, 02:55 AM

Ha!!! downgrading to Leopard!!! Ha!! you ignorant!!!!

There is no way (been in every forum out there) I can get my 02/2010MacBook running in a 10.5.x (x>=4) Leopard OS.

by No Way I mean no way without spending a month not sleeping and getting a hand (fretting or rythm one) cramped with the computer mouse to finally get an unstable computer and an unwanted degree in hackering systems... I just wanted to playback my songs with my already purchased hardware.

I think it is really unfair to leave behind the old Mbox. It is not that is not supported, it is that it has purposely been taking out of the new driver's compatibilty... they did the extra effort in taking it out of the code so I go and get a new one (that will work until when???) we, who pay our licences are the lemmons to squeeze. I'm not taking it anymore.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanferdiaz View Post
Ha!!! downgrading to Leopard!!! Ha!! you ignorant!!!!

There is no way (been in every forum out there) I can get my 02/2010MacBook running in a 10.5.x (x>=4) Leopard OS.

by No Way I mean no way without spending a month not sleeping and getting a hand (fretting or rythm one) cramped with the computer mouse to finally get an unstable computer and an unwanted degree in hackering systems... I just wanted to playback my songs with my already purchased hardware.

I think it is really unfair to leave behind the old Mbox. It is not that is not supported, it is that it has purposely been taking out of the new driver's compatibilty... they did the extra effort in taking it out of the code so I go and get a new one (that will work until when???) we, who pay our licences are the lemmons to squeeze. I'm not taking it anymore.
Avid clearly announced the EOSS for the original Mbox at PT 8.0.1. There were technical challenges with making the driver work for Snow Leopard and due to the life cycle of this long discontinued product, a business decision was made to stop development for it to reduce additional costs. If you didn't know that then why am I the ignorant one. Calling people names on the forum is not the best way to get help. I do understand your frustration but this is perhaps more Apple's Snow Leopard's fault than Avid/Digidesign's.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Avid clearly announced the EOSS for the original Mbox at PT 8.0.1. There were technical challenges with making the driver work for Snow Leopard and due to the life cycle of this long discontinued product, a business decision was made to stop development for it to reduce additional costs. If you didn't know that then why am I the ignorant one. Calling people names on the forum is not the best way to get help. I do understand your frustration but this is perhaps more Apple's Snow Leopard's fault than Avid/Digidesign's.
Hey... Obsidian... I'm sorry this has been misunderstood... I was calling myself ignorant for being so optimistic about downgrading.. it is virtually impossible and when I wrote the post I thought it was almost done... I would never call anyone ignorant specially if I am asking for help of course.

I appreciate your comments though you express a different point of view regarding Avid's decission about Mbox. I truly do. I am frustrated as I have now to do additional investment and surely encounter new software issues and pospone every time picking the instrument and play.

Again, I was sort of telling it to myself out loud "ignorant" for being so confident with the solution I decided to adopt.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Cheers,

Juan
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 AM

Ok. I read your post the wrong way and I though you were calling me ignorant. I reread it again after what you said and I can see what you're saying. I call myself things at times too. No problem.

I may be too optomistic too but I would think that you should be able to format the drive and install OSX 10.5.x (optionally upgrade to 10.5.8) and then install Protools 8.0.1 (upgrade to latest cs available for that version of Protools). I haven't done it myself, but have read others do this when Snow Leopard and Protools 8.0.3 gave them too much problems with their plugins. You can try this out by doing the installs to an external drive and making it your boot drive to test if it works for you first. Good luck.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB