Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Difference Between Products? (newbie)

Hi,
My name is Matt Brown, and I'm a solo artist interested in ProTools hardware, the reason being that my previous drum teacher (ex-A-list drummer in LA studio) repeatedly claimed that ProTools is the best recording equipment in existence. Since he told me this I've begun noticing that various favorite bands of mine do indeed use ProTools, and so now that I'm writing and recording a solo album after nearly three years of band experience, I'm looking into buying a ProTools rig for myself. From the prices I've seen (e.g. "starting at 10,000 USD"), I know I am currently not monetarily capable of buying one, but I still need to do some research to find out what's what and what I'll be wanting to get when I do have the money to get rigged up; this way I can know how much I need to try and save in the next couple of years. In the meantime I'm still writing and recording with basic and overall decent equipment, but my ultimate goal is ProTools.

So there's my initial question: What are the different products, and how much might I be looking at spending on a complete rig?

The reason why I don't ask my drum teacher for those that might be wondering is that he's not here anymore, and he's too busy to send me an email telling me everything I need to know about ProTools.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-02-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Difference Between Products? (newbie)

Matt,

Quote:
my previous drum teacher (ex-A-list drummer in LA studio) repeatedly claimed that ProTools is the best recording equipment in existence.
That’s such a subjective statement. After all, best at what? Best sounding? Not a chance. Best value? Nope. Best learning curve? Getting closer. Best product if you need to move your session from one studio to another? Absolutely. I guess what I’m trying to say here is not to jump on the bandwagon just because someone said to. Know your needs and find a product that best fits it.

That being said, Digidesign (finally) has a good product and I would feel comfortable recommending it to most anyone. However, there are other products out there that may also fulfill your needs. Do your research while you save your money. List what your needs and wants are. Compare product specs see how they match up with your list. Talk to sales people for each of the products you may be interested in. (Leave your money and credit cards at home! Don’t commit to anything until you have seen them all!) Find people with different systems and let them show you around. See if they’ll let you “play around” with it for a few hours. List what you like/dislike about each. When you’re done with this process you may very well come to the conclusion that you want a Pro-Tools system...but it will be an informed decision, not based on someone else’s opinion.

So now that I’ve taken so much time with what I expected to be a short intro to my post, let me give you a couple of really short answers to your questions:

What are the differences? Pro-Tools comes in three basic types: TDM/HTDM, LE and M-Powered.

TDM/HTDM: Uses DSP chips on PCI cards and specially designed I/O interface boxes. This is the most powerful Pro-Tools type. It is also the most expensive. Older systems use TDM (Such as Mix and D24 systems) but the newer HD systems used HTDM.

LE: Uses native processors (computer’s CPU) and less expensive I/O interfaces (Mbox, 002). Costs much less but has considerably less power. Cannot run TDM/HTDM plug-Ins.

M-Powered: Much the same as LE except that it uses M-Audio I/O interfaces.

I make these answers short because all the information I would write in a lengthy response can be found under “Products” on the main Digidesign website. If you have more specific questions that arise from reading the material there, feel free to ask.

Cost? Oh goodness. It starts at around $300 for an Mbox and goes way into the tens of thousands for tricked out super crazy HD systems! But don’t forget to include the costs of the computer you want to run it on. $10k sounds like a good starting place for a New basic HD system. Consider buying used. Digidesign has made transfer of ownership very easy. Check the Buy&Sell section on the DUC. Also check eBay. Watch for scams. It’s just too good to be true...well you know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

"I bent my wookie"
Old 08-02-2005, 01:31 AM

Charles,

Thanks for the advice. I live overseas in China, but I make occasional visits to Hong Kong. The next time I'm there I'll check out the ProTools dealership to see a ProTools rig for myself. Also, would you recommend taking training courses in ProTools before buying an actual rig? That way I could theoretically get an idea of not only how to use ProTools but what exactly it can be used for.

Matt
Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Also, would you recommend taking training courses in ProTools before buying an actual rig? That way I could theoretically get an idea of not only how to use ProTools but what exactly it can be used for.
IMHO, no, I wouldn't recommend taking a training course. An Mbox would cost you a lot less and at the end of the day, you have an Mbox. Pro-Tools really has a good learning curve (the time it takes to be able to get "up and running"). The manual, though not perfect, is fairly well written and if all else fails, we here at the DUC are always here to ask "how-to" questions.

If, in the end, you decide you don't want to keep the Mbox you can always get a good price on eBay... Try to sell your notes from your Pro-Tools training course!

"I bent my wookie"
Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 AM

Why exactly do you suggest not to take training courses but to instead buy an Mbox? And although I assume the Mbox must be capable of recording I'd like to confirm this with you. I may look into getting an Mbox in the near future since right now I'm using an Edirol UA-3FX, which is somewhat primitive.

Thanks for your help so far by the way, it's been extremely appreciated.

Matt
Old 08-02-2005, 09:16 AM

Before I reply, let me say that my recommendation not to take Pro-Tools training was written for you and your situation. There are a few situations where I would recommend it...but not many.

The reason I wouldn't recommend you spend the money on a training course is because you would not see a good return on your investment. You are an artist who wants a recording system to use in your studio. Would you learn in a Pro-Tools training course? Yes, but everything you are looking to gain from Pro-Tools training you can learn by purchasing the Mbox and using it. The advantage is that you keep the Mbox and pay less money. One of the great things about Pro-Tools LE (and the Mbox) is that, though some functions are removed, the software interface is almost exactly the same as the "big boy's" version of Pro-Tools. Therefore, once you learn LE, using the TDM version is a simple transition.

Finally, yes, the Mbox can record. Check out the options at http://www.digidesign.com/products/le/

"I bent my wookie"
Old 08-02-2005, 04:50 PM

If your going to buy an LE system I would recomend an 002 or 002R/C8 combo. It will take you further than an M-box. Same software, more inputs. What is your budget?
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 08-02-2005, 05:34 PM

So an Mbox will teach me the basics then, in addition to leaving me with a powerful little recording device. Fantastic.

macr0w, thanks for the recommendation, but the 002's are simply out of my price range for the time being. The 500 for the Mbox is just in my range.

Matt
Old 08-02-2005, 06:14 PM

500 what?

just got a flyer from Guitar Center w/ the M-Box for 349 USD

Might want to look at a M Powered option same software

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-02-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
500 what?

just got a flyer from Guitar Center w/ the M-Box for 349 USD

Might want to look at a M Powered option same software
I would get one of these if I were you with m-power software. Probably much better than the M-box.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com