Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 PM

Default How do you reach Avid to get software (update) to be functional?

Ok, I (tried to) follow all the steps prior to update to 9.0.5 (As usual, why make it simple when you can make it so complicated !!)...

- uninstalled Interlock driver kit from Win Control Panel
- Dwnloaded and installed latest PACE drivers (quite tricky, you never really know when you're done...
- rebooted, launched 9.0.5 updater - kept me in dark for about 5 minutes, then launched the installer, I okayed everything. It seemed to install (again) something PACE related at first.
- Rebooted after installation, then first message : ''PACE error'', requiring me (again !) to update PACE drivers. Now it requires me (again) to reboot. I did it, to no difference. If I now try to launch PT9, I'm being told (again) that I need to update driver.

UPDATE:
- I was pointed out by PACE support it *may* have to do with a dll file for RME Fireface drivers which needed to be renamed during installation.
- My interface is brand new and this driver with that file has never been installed on this machine. So this is excluded. Plus I never powered the RME interface during PACE driver update....
- Now iLok are out of words and here's the answer I get:

Hello,

Your iLok was seen by our website earlier today. This means your drivers are working correctly. As the license is on your iLok and your drivers are functioning correctly, it is likely a software issue and you should contact the software company.
iLok.com Technical Support

So this ''software company'' : can anyone tell me how you reach them ? All I see is ASC credits to buy,( but anyway: none for PT9...) How do you reach Avid for this problem ?

I'm now stucked with a software for which I've paid big price for what it worth, which I cannot use on any system: not anymore on my Win PC, not on my new Mac with Lion (it worked for a day, and now it won't even load a new document - different message though, nothing to do (i think...) with the iLok.

Was updating from 9.0.3, Windows 7 x64 machine. Kept my ilok key plugged during entire process.

ADDITIONAL NOTES: Messages I get when trying to start PT 9.0.5:

I first get that prompt: ''This software requires a new version of the InterLock (R) device drivers and a reboot before running. If you have not updated the driver, please download the latest installer from www.paceap.com, run the installer and reboot the system''.

Then, as I OK this (no other choice), I get the following error: '' Pro Tools.exe Application Error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application''

Needless to add that I have tried to redownload (in case of corrupt download...) from PACE, wnet through the installation (that shows ''like'' hanging... But remember the above: those guys tells me that iLok driver is *not* at fault... That it shows on their website. I have also tried tonight the reinstallation of PT 9.0.5 update and choosed ''REPAIR'', but to no avail.

______

Now, guess I should change my topic, as no one here seems to know (as myself) how to reach Avid support, because it does not exist... If I go to support page, I get links to all sort of plans (none for PT9, except HD) - (gee, should I pay for this anyway ?...) I did have an ASC code when I purchased, but it's no longer valid. Plus there's no way I can find my registration info (at least I could have access to a *full installer* for 9.0.5 and start from scratch... I have registered the *boxed* product, but their online ''master account'' does not have it - I do have the confirmation email though, worthless. I'm almost up to the point of selling my licence for almost nothing ! (Someone knows how and where exactely, to find registered products when they're not downloads???...
Windows 7 Professional 64bit. Quad-core i7 2.86 ghz 8gb ram, ATI hd 5450 radeon, RME Fireface 800 (SiiG fw card with TI chipset), MOTU midi express 128, Yamaha 02R digital mixer (connected to Fireface 800, ADAT IN/OUT). Sonar producer 8.5.3 and X1 and Pro Tools 9 (just started)
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Re: How do you reach Avid to get software (update) to be functional?

Well.. If you click on this link Avid.com you will then be able to see on the top of the page the link Support and services on that one you will see a picture of a guy with a headset and a piece and paper and hold and behold what is the tittle? Support contact Once you click on the image, you will see a page with a few links, one called Support center Then you got three choice to make, avid degidesign (pro tools), m-audio and Sybelus.. hmm easy no? it's pro tools and it's even in () So you click on that link and it will explain you what you need to do. It's not hard at all. a few clicks.. just need to read.

Wave-T.com
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Ok, thanks for your time to reply. However, although you seems to read better than me, have you tried that and are you reading the options? Looks like the only option is ASC codes you can buy. Even if i would accept to pay (which make no sense unless i am being deminstrated i am at fault with this issue), see what you get as options: $79 for PT 9 HD, or $39 for PT 9 LE (or ME??).... No option for PT9 standalone version.

So yep, i have read and went further....No one told me i should own a Ph.D. in math to navigate Avid website when i pirchased PT9, sorry

Thanks for your reply, understood you did with a sense of humor.

Rob
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Partly with a sense of humour and partly with truness to it.

Avid works with a pay to support basis. Basically because it doesn't have monthly incomes like cable and phone companies for say, that gives those company the resources to keep a full time team to answer every 1000 questions even the dumbest ones. Not saying yours is one, but stating where I have been at when I was working as a tech support.

Instead this system forces the user to look for the answers that most of them will find easily by reading the forums, the faqs or other sources. THEN if they don't find it, they can contact Avid, and yes pay again points to my other paragraph why.

I'm going to give you an example of why their system works that way.

you got 60 employees that are generally paid in between 15 to 23 bucks an hour. Work in three teams for 8 hours. So that's 60 employes that you have to pay a total of 8 hours each at 15 to 23 bucks an hour per day times that;s roughly 240 days if you take out the mandatory off days due to different days. so that's 240 days x 8 hours x 15 $/h x 60 employees (going with the lowest price in this example)

that's a grand total of a million seven hundred and twenty-eight thousand to pay 60 employees yea-round to do tech support. Yep you read right 1 728 000. That's just not cost effective when you rely on sales and not monthly incomes.

Could they have smaller teams? sure, would it make a difference in the cost effectiveness, not one bit.

The way Avid is doing it is very cost effective for them and still provide a service for those that truly needs it. For the twits, that just don't read and think that their err why don't my pro tools work? .. hmm did you plug it in.. ooh d'uh.. is a valid question (oh yes trust me I've seen those when I was an ISP tech support) are truly not.

So maybe this can en-light a few on why Avid charges if not well stay in the dark ages

Wave-T.com
Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
Ok, I (tried to) follow all the steps prior to update to 9.0.5 (As usual, why make it simple when you can make it so complicated !!)...

- uninstalled Interlock driver kit from Win Control Panel
- Dwnloaded and installed latest PACE drivers (quite tricky, you never really know when you're done...
- rebooted, launched 9.0.5 updater - kept me in dark for about 5 minutes, then launched the installer, I okayed everything. It seemed to install (again) something PACE related at first.
- Rebooted after installation, then first message : ''PACE error'', requiring me (again !) to update PACE drivers. Now it requires me (again) to reboot. I did it, to no difference. If I now try to launch PT9, I'm being told (again) that I need to update driver.
It's pretty simple. You have to follow the instructions exactly. Which you didn't. You don't uninstall your ilok drivers. You just update them.
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._Win_72750.pdf
Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 AM

Computer model and processor speed: ASUS CM1630
OS version: Windows 7 Home Premium 6.01.7600 x64-bit
Digidesign or M-Audio hardware model: M-Box 2 Pro, firewire
Pro Tools version: 9.0.5
Amount of RAM installed: 8 GB DDR3
Attached peripherals: Axiom 49 keyboard controller
(see Sandra report below)
I've completed all of the recommended optimizations.

Updating to PT 9.0.5, I've encountered the same obstacle :

Initialization Error
This software requires a new version of the InterLok(R) device drivers and a reboot before running. If you have not updated the drivers, please download the latest installer from www.paceap.com, run the installer, and reboot your system.
If you have updated the drivers, then you must reboot before you can run this software.
OK
and,
ProTools.exe Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.
OK
The download, DriverSetup.exe (53.8 MB) from sw.ilok.com, is available at www.paceap.com, and at www.ilok.com.

When I try to download and install the driver from either website, it downloads but fails to install (poof, it's gone).

When I download and install the iLok Client Installer
, iLokCientHelperSetup.exe (27.9 MB) from sw.ilok.com, from www.ilok.com, it installs first, and then automaticallyinstalls a driver ("Install Shield Wizard has successfully installed Interlock driver setup x64. Click Finish to exit the wizard"). The driver appears in the Control Panel Programs list.

After installing the driver, I get the same Error messages when trying to start Pro Tools 9.0.5.

I've tried installing the ilok driver repeatedly, without success.

And I tried uninstalling the driver, and reinstalling, without success.

Eventually, I reinstalled Windows 7, and Pro Tools 9.0.2, which launches and runs fine. I then updated from 9.0.2 to 9.0.3 without any problem.

Before updating to 9.0.5, I downloaded and installed the driver from www.ilok.com (via the iLok Client Installer), and was still unable to start Pro Tools (got the same error messages).

I'm going to reinstall Pro Tools, update to 9.0.3, and stop there until I find a solution to the problem I'm having with 9.0.5.

I'll appreciate any help.

Thanx.
Pat

SiSoftware Sandra
Computer

Model : ASUS CM1630
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : LoveTree-PC
User : Pro Tools

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor
Speed : 2.81GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 64kB, Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way, Exclusive, 64 byte line size
L2 Cache : 2x 512kB, ECC, Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way, Exclusive, 64 byte line size

Computer
Mainboard : ASUS CM1630
BIOS : AMI (OEM) 0304 05/20/2010
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 8GB DIMM DDR3

Chipset
Model : ASUS RS780/880 Host Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 2GHz (4GHz)
Channels : 1
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 101MHz (202MHz)

Chipset
Model : AMD F10 Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron HT Hub
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 2GHz (4GHz)
Total Memory : 8GB DIMM DDR3
Channels : 2
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 670MHz (1.34GHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Crucial CT25664BA1339M8FR 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (10-10-10-27 5-37-11-6)
Memory Module : Crucial CT25664BA1339M8FR 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (10-10-10-27 5-37-11-6)
Memory Module : Asint SLZ3128M8-EDJ1D 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)
Memory Module : Asint SLZ3128M8-EDJ1D 2GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Video System
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) (8 SM4.0 1.4GHz, 512MB DDR2 704MHz 64-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
Seagate ST3750528AS (750.2GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 699GB (C:)
Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 30MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
Generic-SD/MMC (USB2) : N/A (F:)
Generic-Compact Flash (USB2) : N/A (G:)
Generic-SM/xD Picture (USB2) : N/A (H:)
Generic-MS/MS-Pro (USB2) : N/A (I:)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
SYSTEM (C:) : 680GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST3750528AS (750.2GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm)
AUDIO (D:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 30MB Cache)
Removable Drive (F:) : N/A @ Generic-SD/MMC (USB2)
Removable Drive (G:) : N/A @ Generic-Compact Flash (USB2)
Removable Drive (H:) : N/A @ Generic-SM/xD Picture (USB2)
Removable Drive (I:) : N/A @ Generic-MS/MS-Pro (USB2)
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40N (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS IXP SB600/700/800 SMBUS Controller
LPC Hub Controller 2 : ASUS SB700/800 LPC host controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8712F
Audio Device : ASUS IXP SB600 High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : VIA VT1708S HD Audio
Disk Controller : ASUS SB700/800 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
Disk Controller : ASUS SB700/800 IDE
USB Controller 1 : ASUS SB700/800 USB OHCI0 Controller
USB Controller 2 : ASUS SB700/800 USB OHCI1 Controller
USB Controller 3 : ASUS SB700/800 USB EHCI Controller
USB Controller 4 : ASUS SB700/800 USB OHCI0 Controller
USB Controller 5 : ASUS SB700/800 USB OHCI1 Controller
USB Controller 6 : ASUS SB700/800 USB EHCI Controller
USB Controller 7 : ASUS SB700/800 USB OHCI2 Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : ADS Technologies TSB43AB23 1394a-2000 OHCI PHY/link-layer Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : ATI SB700 SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : Canon MP250 series Printer (USB, Colour)

Peripherals

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : Atheros AR5007G Wireless Network Adapter (802.11g (ERP), 54Mbps)

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 4.3

Performance Enhancing Tips
Warning 100 : Large memory sizes should be made of Registered/Buffered memory.
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.