Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Default Pro Tools HD freezes mac pro

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I was hoping someone can help me. I have a crippling Pro Tools problem that no one has been able to fix. For almost a year I ran my system with no problems and have recently moved into a new workspace. My problems started there. Essentially when I am running Pro Tools, my computer freezes and I am forced to do a hard reboot. This also happens if I launch Core Audio Manager by itself, or if I quit Pro Tools etc. This is a random crash which occurs multiple times per day but not exactly following the same pattern. While frozen, two diagnostic LED's (CPU fail A and B) on computers motherboard are lit.
This is what I have:

Pro Tools HD2 Accel PCIe / 192 i/o with C|24 control surface
UAD PCIe x1
Intel Mac Pro 2.66 Quad core with 9 gig ram
LCD TV (42 inch) and 20" LCD monitor (mirror mode)
Logitech wireless mouse
2 internal Sata2 hard drives (system + audio)
UPS battery backup (APC BXR 1500)

What I tried:
*I trashed digi preferences multiple times repair permissions etc.
*Upgraded from OS Tiger to OS Leopard (reformat, clean install)
*Upgraded from Pro Tools 7.4 to 8
*Ran NO plugins (only plugin was Stereo mixer plug to allow Pro Tools to launch)
*Replaced RAM
*Replaced Hard drives
*Replaced Logic Board
*Replaced CPU's
*Uninstalled then replaced UAD card
*Sent HD core and Accel cards back to Digi who checked and refurbished them

My thought was faulty mains power in building damaging computer etc but I have replaced almost all the components except for the power supply and graphics card and 192 I/O. The computer works great for all other applications (final cut, photoshop etc) and shows no other signs of failure. I have so far spent a lot of money and about 3 months of downtime trying to fix this problem that has Apple, Digidesign and UA tech support stumped.
Any ideas guys?
Thanks for reading my post anyway,
cheers,
Tim
Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD freezes mac pro

A clean install with osx and protools 8 solve alot in our system, i did the upgrade from 7,4 as well but it did´nt work that well

Good luck
Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM

Hi,

Did you say you ran PT with just the stereo mixer plugin and you still experienced the problem? The possible culprit in this situation is of course an out of date or incompatible plugin.

if you try running PT slimmed down without the LCD TV and without the UAD card does it happen?

Does sound like a computer problem! can you hire another computer for a week?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks guys, I started replacing software etc once I began having the problems. I went from Tiger to Leopard, Pro Tools 7.4 to 8 with no plugs, all in an attempt to fix the problem.
I went this morning and rented a similar mac pro and transplanted my HD and UAD cards as well as hard drives. All seems to be running okay at the moment. I will test for the rest of the day and night.
If I get no problems then I'm leaning towards the problem being either the video card or power supply,
let me know what you guys think,
thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM

I have the same system you do. My advice. Go back to Pro Tools 7.4 and Tiger. My system is rock solid this way. PT8 and leopard is a Pro Tools Crash Nightmare. Its not ready IMHO for anyone to use yet.

I got sick of wasting time, trouble shooting, upgrading plug ins, etc, etc. to get my PT 8 to work in Leopard. HD and LE. Its a PT 8 Leopard disease if you ask me. And many others with the same set up complain about the same problem. Freezes and unexpected crashing. Forcing you to do a hard reboot.

Maybe when Digi has CS update several CS updates like they do with Tiger and 7.4, I will give it a shot again. Until then, I am staying away. My work flow is more important than the bells and whistles.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
I have the same system you do. My advice. Go back to Pro Tools 7.4 and Tiger. My system is rock solid this way. PT8 and leopard is a Pro Tools Crash Nightmare. Its not ready IMHO for anyone to use yet.
"Its not ready for anyone to use yet" That is the funniest thing i have read in a long time

Sounds like you need some help getting your system stable!! whatever your problems are, try posting the details on the forum along with any crash logs and use the support utility to give the details of your installed plugins.

This very post is testament to how you can troubleshoot even the greatest of problems

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Avid

Hi,

Since this does sound like it could be in an issue with your system, I would try and rule out parts like the graphics card which you have not replaced yet.

You could also try finding someone else with a similar Mac Pro configuration and just take your SATA drive tray to that system and boot off of your drive and see if the problems persist. This could indicate a bad drive and OS install. I know that you have tried this, but sometimes multiple failures happen at the same time, and those can be the most difficult problems to resolve.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM

DONNX, I totally agree, dont go for PT8 now, they have a lot to do with it, even if i got a little better with our system, i regret updating and are on my way downgrading
Old 03-24-2009, 11:44 AM

try it without the APC BXR 1500
without the C24
and just the core card

Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 AM

join the club

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=241042