Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Default Video solution for PT 7.4 and pci-x G5

Hey,

Anyone know of a good third party video capture card for a G5 pci-x system, or a reliable workaround with a graphics card? I'm running two systems right now with Aurora Fuse-X cards, but that company ceased to exist a while back and I'll be damned if I can find one of those cards anywhere (I actually just got burned on Ebay when I picked an old Fuse that doesn't fit - not enough coffee that morning, should have realized it was too good to be true). I've tried Canopus before, but due to the latency issue when you scrub and loss of frame accuracy, it's not an option. Anyone got suggestions for another card? The only other thing I can think of would be to run a dual monitor system off the graphics card, but I'm not sure how much that taxes the system resources. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
Dual 2.5 G5, 4 gigs ram, PT 7.4, HD2, OSX 10.4.11
Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Video solution for PT 7.4 and pci-x G5

dual monitor will work fine for playback
I do it on G4s w/o any problem

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Video solution for PT 7.4 and pci-x G5

I just had to ditch my aurora card as well. Other than having good results with mojos, using the 2nd video monitor plugged into a television or projection with a dvi or hdmi input is a fantastic quick, easy, cheap, high quality solution. it is not bad on the system at all as long as you are using the normal video formats (dv or mpeg2)