Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
The only problem with HD Native for me is not being able to track with plugins. This is a real limitation if you are recording real drums and don't eq to "tape".
By all accounts this is possible with a native system and a powerful computer. You might have to watch what plugs you choose for tracking and not use plugs that add extra latency. Also plugs on the mix buss should probably be avoided during tracking and overdubbing. However if you're doing overdubs after putting plugs on the mix buss you can de-activate any buss plug ins. So while it's not perfect, the savings should afford the work arounds for most people.

Also HD|Native can help also as it is one of the lowest latency interfaces out there, but there are lots of great 3rd party options also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

I do post in London, feature films, TV etc.

I need HD for the low latency, nothing else I have tried gives a low enough latency for the workflow. I've not yet been convinced that HD Native can do it either.

I would love those new features, particularly clip gain which would make dialogue editing etc so much easier.

Is it worth £754.80?

Well it might be if it saved me a lot of time. But that unprecedented price for a software upgrade comes at a time when I'm also being asked to upgrade my 192, my sync io, and my HD cards over the next 3 years if I want to stay current.
Don't get me wrong I'm willing to do that and I think the upgrade prices for hardware are fair.
I can't see any good reason why the 192 and Sync io are dumped though.

How people who record music with HD or did not upgrade to PT9 because of its lack of post production features must feel, I can only guess at.

The mind boggles.

I'd like to know why Avid thinks this is an acceptable pricepoint for the software upgrade.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
By all accounts this is possible with a native system and a powerful computer. You might have to watch what plugs you choose for tracking and not use plugs that add extra latency.

I thought that a plugin on a track would be made inactive the minute you put it into record. If that is not the case HD Native looks good.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 AM

That's only if you switch on Low Latency Monitoring.

What people are talking about here is just using a low buffer of 64 or 32, just like people have done for years on 003's and the like.

The difference with HD Native, is that there is a little bit of processing on the card that handles the I/O, that apparently takes quite a bit of load off the computer, more than you might expect. Which means with a decent computer, you can keep the low buffer setting with much higher track counts and plugins going on, than you otherwise would be able to with a typical firewire or usb interface.

The fact that it's PCIe, rather than firewire/usb also contributes to this, and adds stability.

Plus, the new Avid HD interfaces, because of the new design, actually convert the audio to digital even faster than before, so even tracking at a 128 buffer sounds more like 64, etc.

Here's a chart from Avid that gives a comparison:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources...ilyLatency.png
Old 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM

Let's not forget about the fact that if you buy the PT HD10 software upgrade right now for $1000 and later when the HDX systems have finally shipped, you decide to trade in your HD3 and I/O, whether if be at that time or sometime next year, you get no consideration (discount) for upgrading early before the HDX hardware ships. So if your like me with HD3 and a 96 I/O and upgrade to the cheapest HDX system ($6000 with the HD3 and I/O trade) and tired of messing with PT HD9, you'll be out an extra $1000 just to get into a better functioning version of PT HD sooner than later. I myself will upgrade (I guess I will), but it's hard to justify paying $1000 for a software upgrade and PT HD9 is not where it should be. Are they ever gonna fix the bugs in PT HD9?

GigabyteX79-UP4 Rev 1.1
Xeon E5 2680 v.2. 10 Core cpu Windows10 v.1909
Avid HDX 2019.10 HD - 16x16 - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - AVID Artist Mix (2)
Universal Audio UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo - Pci-E Quad - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Antelope Trinity - 10M
Grace Design M905
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Burl B2
Dangerous 2Bus
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM

If anything, this is a lesson to only buy the digital I/O from Avid; they can't make a set of 3rd party converters obsolete. Get the HD I/O Digital 16x16 and converters of your choice.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM

abc1mce2

I agree.

An HD10 software early adopters voucher would go a long way to sweetening the pill.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
By all accounts this is possible with a native system and a powerful computer. You might have to watch what plugs you choose for tracking and not use plugs that add extra latency. Also plugs on the mix buss should probably be avoided during tracking and overdubbing. However if you're doing overdubs after putting plugs on the mix buss you can de-activate any buss plug ins. So while it's not perfect, the savings should afford the work arounds for most people.

Also HD|Native can help also as it is one of the lowest latency interfaces out there, but there are lots of great 3rd party options also

What about those of us who mix as we go and the fact that a limiter or compresser on the mix buss has quite an impact on the overall mix. If I have to disable the mix buss plugins on HD Native, in order to track with less latency, it is a workflow change that seriously highlights the difference between DSP processing and Native processing, and it is one that personally I cannot live with.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Yes of course I know there are less expensive monitors that are probably as good as the Apple one. (I still really like the apple :))

What I was trying to say, that even though it was expensive I feel I got a lot for my $999.00 which I certainly do not feel any of the HD users are getting with upgrade to PT10HD.

Maybe if there were some cool plugins that were only offered to HD users I would see what Avid was getting at but I just dont see why regular 10 is $350 and HD is $999.

Looks like 99% off all responding agree

FYI in the last 10 years on the DUC, I have never had anyhing bad to say about Digi/Avid, but I am having a lot of issues with this $999 upgrade especially as I was forced off of my HD3 last year to Native. (Ie I orderred accel upgrade and was told after I placed the order that Avid discontinued the upgrade and I was SOL and had to change to Native)

That said Native is a great platform but now I have to pay 2/3 the cost of what I paid for the crossgrade to go to 10.

If I bought a non HD system then I would be upgrading for $350.

Its just stupid and a slap in the face.

I dont know how else to put it.

Please Avid, I hate complaining and I love the product but this is just rediculous.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Well, the new one has a TBolt port on it... so find me a bunch of other vendors that support that.
At least two have announced support. Intel developed the bus and it's available to any hardware company that wants to support it - just because support started with one manufacturer doesn't make it "proprietary".