Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Well a Mac Pro is likely to have more power than a Macbook, but as I said, interface is important.

A FireWire interface at 128 buffer has higher latency than HD Native at 128.
That is unless the interface is using DSP and can route the inputs right to the outputs, as then you cut out the trip to the computer.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
That's the way I feel about it. Unless you're in Post, just let Intel do all the work.

I agree and I am doing scoring, post work as well as mixing. Unless I am doing Avatar on a deadline, I'll deal with it the old fashioned way:)

It's called time management. As much as I like the idea of it, it's not worth the cost to me right now and the headaches of a totally unproven system. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi2000 View Post
The more I think about this upgrade, the more it pisses me off. I don't feel that Avid is listening at all and am starting to see why so many people are moving to different platforms..

FYI just bought he entire ableton suite for 899 and am loving it.

Thank god I can use my native card with it.

Avid if you are listening please don't screw all the people here who have supported you for years.

I love pro tools but right now I don't even want to use it out of principle.

$999 is an insult to hd users when the standard version is $350.

Does,hd10 support control 24?
DITTO!! Been using this stuff since it was Pro Deck and Pro Edit.. What a nightmare that was:)..
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstryrwiz View Post
It's not Digidesign anymore, that's why. Avid fired just about everyone that was under the old Digidesign about 2 or 3 years ago I believe. Avid knows post-production, as their software really is Media Composer, and what came before that. They do not know the audio industry at all, and just care about profits, not their customers.
Well said...G
Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Well said...G
Actually there are a lot of guys that are very familiar with Audio there.. Even Max G came from Apogee...

I think that the problem is more that the bean-counters have control because of lackluster performance over the years..

I dunno.. the next week or two and we'll see what filters through.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Actually there are a lot of guys that are very familiar with Audio there.. Even Max G came from Apogee...

I think that the problem is more that the bean-counters have control because of lackluster performance over the years..

I dunno.. the next week or two and we'll see what filters through.
Even if they may have come from audio, which obviously those on the R&D department, and the actual development end do, however those in charge really aren't too connected with the audio field. What they could pull with post (such as charging $1,000 to upgrade software), just can't fly with audio, as we just can't afford it. Big time producers aren't even really working off of HD anymore, and are working out of their homes for the most part. Times have changed, and although for video and post budgets are coming down, they're nowhere as low as what the audio field is dealing with.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
I've never complained about a software upgrade. Ever. But 1,500.00 for PT8HD to PTHD10 is outrageous for just software. Been using PT since 1996 and I am extremely unhappy.
Totally agree!

I am also HD8

$1500 for a software upgrade??? I will not pay that for sure.

Reuven Amiel
Mixer/Producer.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:15 PM

If you do upgrade and you feel you want to give AVID even more of your money they've made it easier for you by including 'marketplace' as a new feature in PT10.

Al
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake doc View Post
i was just sold a bundle by of PTHD9, HDnative, and Lynx Aurora8 with the ltHD card in August at VintageKing and you are telling me that I now have to pay 1000 to get to HD10 and my interface is already obsolete after that HD10!!! are you freaking kidding me!

Ive been an HD user for 6 years now with my HD2 setup and a Digi user since 1999 this is just rediculous. I've never had a problem paying for an upgrade but when us HD guys dump 5,000.00 and you dont get any consideration other than 30days on an upgrade that just blows.
Avid does not support 3rd party interfaces, so it's a bit unfair to be upset that the interface you bought, which is not supported, will continue to be unsupported in the future.

As for the $5000 you spent - to be fair, an HD Native card with Pro Tools HD software retails for $3495 and my guess is Vintage King did not charge you retail.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Avid does not support 3rd party interfaces, so it's a bit unfair to be upset that the interface you bought, which is not supported, will continue to be unsupported in the future.

As for the $5000 you spent - to be fair, an HD Native card with Pro Tools HD software retails for $3495 and my guess is Vintage King did not charge you retail.
And one more time you've elegantly steered around addressing the main issue...it's not whether or not snake doc paid a bit more or less then srlp, it is that there are MANY of your loyal customers who paid tens of thousands for your system and a buggy pt9HD, some of them only a few months ago, and now you charge them 1k$ just to upgrade to a stable version.
And HD users don't even benefit from some of the new features, yet the update price for HD is 3 times as high as for the native version....while it should be LOWER since it's offering LESS!
Does anyone at AVID even care about their customers ?
Why is noone addressing that issue? Have a look at your Facebook page, the countless forums, the stock market... Your formerly loyal customers are OUTRAGED and AVID doesn't seem to care a bit.
Do something to rectify that before it's too late.... You're pulling a Netflix!