Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Protools 10HD upgrade to from 9 is 999.99 ..... WHY

The more I think about it PT9 HD native may just be my final version of PT.

If I ugrade to 10 it's 1,000 and then I'd have to convert all my plugs to AAX eventually. And if this new card is really equal to the processing power of my current computer then in 3 years it will be out-gunned.

If by that time there is a new mac that is twice as fast as mine and the cost to enter Protools is the upgrade to 10+11 plus new plugs and possibly at that time a new interface because PCIe is dropped then my best bet is to hang until that time and then go back to Logic and just incur the cost of the new mac and interface.

The funny thing is when new stuff comes out like this my first instinct (impulse) is to get it and had the price to upgrade to HDx been 1,000 less I would have done it.

Now time is working against that impulse as the prohibitive cost has forced me to think through whether I want to stay with AVID. It's most interesting to me that they have actually put forth the possibility of persons such as myself that I may no longer choose to do any business with them.

I don't think as a consumer I've ever come across something like this.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
The more I think about it PT9 HD native may just be my final version of PT.

If I ugrade to 10 it's 1,000 and then I'd have to convert all my plugs to AAX eventually. And if this new card is really equal to the processing power of my current computer then in 3 years it will be out-gunned.
Carl
You got that part wrong. Unlike rtas and tdm where you would have voice conflicts by using them together, AAX is a unified format that will enable you to use both at the same time, harnessing the full card potential and host processing together. That's what I understood of it anyways. SO even in 3 years whe you buy a new computer, you will still be turbo charging that computer by using the new hdx cards.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
You got that part wrong. Unlike rtas and tdm where you would have voice conflicts by using them together, AAX is a unified format that will enable you to use both at the same time, harnessing the full card potential and host processing together. That's what I understood of it anyways. SO even in 3 years whe you buy a new computer, you will still be turbo charging that computer by using the new hdx cards.
Right. As you run out of DSP voices, you should easily be able to allocate AAX plugs to native processing, which is impossible to do with TDM.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
including the card your correct but the essence of the post holds true. That most likely by that time a new computer will be as fast as my current system with a card. As well as the fact that in three years PCie may not be around anymore.

You need to take the full post in to get what I'm saying.
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Or just get a native card and enjoy the benefits of x86 CPU upgrades until the card is no longer supported. I want. 3.33ghz 6 core Mac pro. That thing will crush anything I need to do. Alas I'm still on my 2006 2.66ghz Mac pro with native and 14 gigs of ram. It still runs well so why change. Amazing we can go this long with CPU power these days.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
Or just get a native card and enjoy the benefits of x86 CPU upgrades until the card is no longer supported. I want. 3.33ghz 6 core Mac pro. That thing will crush anything I need to do. Alas I'm still on my 2006 2.66ghz Mac pro with native and 14 gigs of ram. It still runs well so why change. Amazing we can go this long with CPU power these days.
Yeah. I have the computer you want with HD Native and it smokes. I recommend it. That's the beauty of it. I was all into this and realized I'm still good to go. I can wait it out and then whatever is the next big thing in a few years I can jump on.

But that's the goof. A decent price for the upgrade and I would have just done it.

C
Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah. I have the computer you want with HD Native and it smokes. I recommend it. That's the beauty of it. I was all into this and realized I'm still good to go. I can wait it out and then whatever is the next big thing in a few years I can jump on.

C
Exactly.

You have a great system, tons of power, and a modern card that gives you nice, low latency. Macs always last at least 3 generations in computer years, and there's no reason why you won't be able to reassess your software options in a year or two without having to drop several grand on new hardware.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

C
The more I think about it the more I think HD native could be a better solution for just about everyone but post guys. Especially as AAX gets more established, hopefully there will be few DSP only plugs. And even if some companies charge more for the DSP version, native guys won't need them. The only thing avid could do to interest me in a DSP solution is an external DSP box ala UAD satellite for considerably less than what the HDX card costs.

Just my .02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
The more I think about it the more I think HD native could be a better solution for just about everyone but post guys. Especially as AAX gets more established, hopefully there will be few DSP only plugs. And even if some companies charge more for the DSP version, native guys won't need them.
That's the way I feel about it. Unless you're in Post, just let Intel do all the work.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
The more I think about it the more I think HD native could be a better solution for just about everyone but post guys. Especially as AAX gets more established, hopefully there will be few DSP only plugs. And even if some companies charge more for the DSP version, native guys won't need them. The only thing avid could do to interest me in a DSP solution is an external DSP box ala UAD satellite for considerably less than what the HDX card costs.

Just my .02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Honestly I think the most cost effective, with most great features available, is the standard Pro Tools software with the CPTK (which normally runs for $2,000, yet you can find it around for like $600, or I did anyway, and it came with the original CPTK bundle with the extra plug-ins), as you get just about every great HD feature except the option of getting like 768 voices, which for music production is just entirely unnecessary, without the HD price. Also the CPTK doesn't expire, or hasn't over the past few versions, it just changed, and always allowed the maximum feature set for non-HD versions (almost identical to the HD version without the actual option to use DSP processing), with the "LE" pricing.