Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Thinking of a Trackball for PT?

Thanks for the info.
And yeah, I was looking at the pen & touch model. Seem very useful anyway, since we have the multi-tool to assist us.

I just placed my order!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 AM

Maybe you experienced pen guys can help......

When I use the pen it starts moving the cursor as I approach the pad. So.... to move the pointer up I swipe up (good so far) so now I want to fine tune and move up a little further.... but the pen is still near the pad so the pointer moves back a little as I reload to swipe up. And moves to the left when i reload to swipe right etc..... For me this is like fighting with the pointer everywhere i go. As I go to click on something if I move even slightly to the right left etc on the way down (almost impossible not to) it moves the cursor and I click the wrong thing. I tried to find a preference to make it only move when i actually am in contact with the pad (totally the way i expected it to go) but I can't find it.....

Any advice?

-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Hello Lee:

I read your post twice. I think what you are experiencing as a problem is something that we think of as a feature. The power of the pen is that you CAN move the pointer by just hovering over the tablet. Wacom gives us a little 1/3" zone of air above the tablet for this. Then, when you want to click, you just touch down.

Two things:

-decide whether you are a pen mode or mouse mode user

-set one of your thumb buttons to "click lock"

Then get back to us. Good luck-

Nathaniel
Old 11-02-2009, 03:27 PM

I've the same problem: I ordered a new Bamboo fun pen & touch and I'm going crazy with moving the cursor just by hovering the pen over the pad.
And the sensitivity of the touchpad isn't as smooth as on my MacBook Pro, so I'll try Nathaniel's proposals but I'm not sure whether Bamboo and me are becoming friends :-(
Thought it would be a chance to get rid of the mighty mouse's **** trackball - I also ordered a magic mouse last week, hopefully this beautiful overpriced design input device works better, but it comes not before late novembre, amazon.de says.
  • ProTools 11, HD 10
Old 11-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Maybe you experienced pen guys can help......

When I use the pen it starts moving the cursor as I approach the pad. So.... to move the pointer up I swipe up (good so far) so now I want to fine tune and move up a little further.... but the pen is still near the pad so the pointer moves back a little as I reload to swipe up. And moves to the left when i reload to swipe right etc..... For me this is like fighting with the pointer everywhere i go. As I go to click on something if I move even slightly to the right left etc on the way down (almost impossible not to) it moves the cursor and I click the wrong thing. I tried to find a preference to make it only move when i actually am in contact with the pad (totally the way i expected it to go) but I can't find it.....

Any advice?

-Lee
Ok this is why my Wacom Tablet is still in the draw after repeated attempts to use it.
I never solved this problem so I hope the long time users can chime in with a solution.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Okay, in all fairness, I've only used Graphire, Bamboo Fun, Cintiq and Intuos tablets. I don't know if the new Bamboo Pen/Touch combo has introduced problems.

Maybe Kenny can weigh in here with his recent Pen/Touch experiences.

I will say, though, that the whole idea is that you don't touch the surface while moving the pointer.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Okay, in all fairness, I've only used Graphire, Bamboo Fun, Cintiq and Intuos tablets. I don't know if the new Bamboo Pen/Touch combo has introduced problems.

Maybe Kenny can weigh in here with his recent Pen/Touch experiences.

I will say, though, that the whole idea is that you don't touch the surface while moving the pointer.
Yes. Touching the surface while moving your pen is like moving your mouse around while holding the mouse button down. You only do that for dragging items.

I won't lie. 99% of the people that try to use my computer, can't. It takes some getting used to. The new pen and touch version is no different from the others. The standard position is the pen a bit off the surface.

You have to find what works for you. Some people like the mouse mode, which is where you can pick up and start again. just like using a mouse. Others prefer the standard mode, which is where the tablet represents your entire screen.

I customize my setting so that the bottom left corner (25% of the tablet) represents the entire screen. This way I never have to move my hand. Just my wrist.

Hope this helps. If not I can try to shoot a video. Although I don't have a camera so it would just be a screencast.

Also, the only problem I have with the pen and touch tablet is that when I want to use my finger, (for gestures) I have to make sure that my pen is not too close or the tablet thinks I'm using the pen.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Man loving this Bamboo touch/pen thing.
I doubt it but is there a way to programme the gestures to do other things.
For instance using the pinch to zoom in and out of PT waveforms would be wicked.

Check out WaveRider + Defaulter:
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM

QuicKeys is working on using gestures as a trigger key.

So anything you can program in QuicKeys would be possible.