How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 AM

Default Using Artist MC Control with Sony Vegas 12

Hi,
Could anyone here talk me through the set-up process for getting the Artist MC to control Sony Vegas 12? I was was told that it was possible using HUI/Mackie Protocol but I cant get the Eucon Control to show Vegas in the menu to apply it. Can anyone help me set this up?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Using Artist MC Control with Sony Vegas 12

Well, thank you so much for your response! It was much appreciated. Sadly, I'm not much further along than when I placed the original post. Here's the current status.

I'm getting conflicting messages between the controller and Vegas here.

In the Vegas 12 External Controls & Automation Menu (under preferences), It lists MACKIE CONTROL &/or GENERIC CONTROL as my options. Since Eucon supports mackie control, that's the one I picked.

I went into he Eucon preferences as instructed in the avid application set-up. After opening the Eucon preferences, it said:

Quote:
3 Locate the application you want to control in the Finder. This is found in your Applications folder or in the program’s own
folder at the top level of the hard drive.

4 Drag the Application icon into the middle of the Preference pane and release the mouse button. Its name and location appears
in the Application and Path columns, respectively.

5 Click in the Protocol column and select Mackie Control."
But when I added the Vegas12 app into the Eucon menu, Eucon listed Vegas as HUI protocol Channels 1-4 & 5-8.

When I checked the Vegas Pref. Menu, it said NO MACKIE DEVICES DETECTED and all of the Eucon MIDI channels 1 - 8 listed in the MIDI menu said NOT ACTIVE.

GENERIC CONTROLLER uses the HUI protocol. So I added that to the V-12 Controller menu. It listed the linked status as ONE CONTROLLABLE MIDI CHANEL (????).

Still, that was more than I had before, so I took that to indicate that I was on the right track at least. The controller was showing the normal layout for the mixer section of Vegas abut Vegas was only showing the one controllabel channel on the mixer. But that was it. Absolutely NOTHING WAS WORKING ( no transport, no solo or mute, etc.) not even the supposedly one controllable channel. The fader on the MC didn't make the fader on the Vegas mixer move at all.

This is really puzzling! Any ideas on what I should try next?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Okay, I got the conflicting protocol messages sorted out. I went back to the Eucon Preference page and changed the protocol to Mackie. Now both Vegas and the MC say Mackie and the Vegas mixer sees the MC (all channels are showing a linked status to an external controller). Unfortunately, now the controller is back to showing me NOTHING from Vegas except the name.

Before, when I had the conflicting protocols, The controller showed all of the channels on the touch screen but Vegas said I only had one controllable channel (which wasn't controllable at all). Then Vegas crashed and I had to do a complete re-boot of the PC and a SYSTEM RESTORE just to get Vegas to work properly again. Now it works and show's a connection to the MC, but the MC is showing me nothing but the Vegas name on it's screen.

Can anyone offer me any more suggestions on what to try next?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Yep, I use it with Vegas.

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 11-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
Ok just downloaded the Sony Vegas Pro 12 Trial. Got it working fairly quickly though is not completely intuitive:

Control Panel-> Eucon - Add 'vegas120' as a MackieControl 'Midi 1-4' device.
Check!

Quote:
Fire up vegas. Options-> Preferences -> MIDI - Add Euphonix EUMidi1 to both Midi output and Midi input pages. Click Apply.
Check!

Quote:
Select External Control & Automation Tab: Select Mackie Control & Hit add. Double click added surface in 'Active control devices' panel.

Select Device type "Emulated Mackie Control device 1"
Channel mapping 1-8
Midi In: Euphonix EUMidi 1
Midi Out: Euphonix EUMidi 1
Click OK, then click OK again.
Check!

Quote:
Now go to options and click 'External Control'

Works for me. Track volume, names etc
I've only got Vegas showing connection to the controller. The controller is acting like it's off!

I've got screen shots of every step. Can anyone tell me how to post them? The insert image tab only seems to be excepting web photos.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 AM

Which build version of Vegas 12 are you using, 12.0.367, 12.0.394 or the latest 12.0.726 (that's the one I'm using with the latest version of Eucon)?

There's a guy on the Sony Vegas Forum telling me that Vegas hasn't worked on Mackie Control since Version 8! He said that he ended up selling his MCU's be verion 1 because of this and all the reports he's heard since then are that it's like the lottery" it works sometimes for a couple of people but the rest of us are out of luck!"

BTW, I went back and tried the same instructions using the GENERIC REMOTE WITH HUI and I got the exact same results, NOTHING!

That "works for the lucky winners" paradigm is a new level of insanity! There must be SOME logical explanation, some missing link for why my using the exact same set of set-up/configuration instructions is only giving me and over priced paper weight!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Well, that was my last shot. I completely un-installed Vegas and started all over from scratch. No change.

I'm out of ideas and I've GOT to get back to work. If anybody thinks of anything, give a shout out!