Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 AM

Cool Midi Drums and bass (Xpand2) lose sync-aye carumba

Greetings,

I started a session on PT 10.0.1 with Midi drums, bass, analog guitar and a couple of scratch vocals. During the vocal overdubs a strange thing happened - the drums and bass would lose sync with the guitar and vocals, but only in the middle of the song. If I start the song at the beginning the sync is fine. If I start it 2 bars after the start of the song or anytime after that, the drums and bass lose sync.

I'm using a new Mac Pro Tower OS 10.6.8 and I've had an Avid tech already run thru several possible issues and his response was "this has never happened before." Since it's Saturday and I won't hear back from him until Monday, I figured this forum was my best chance at some good suggestions.

Although I'm new to ProTools 10, I used digi 001 for several years successfully on a PC (remember Millennium?) and thought moving to Mac would make my life very easy...lmao!!

As an aside, I'm not thrilled with the way AVID charges for basic support esp in the first couple of months. If someone like myself - who's been producing and engineering on analog and digital for 30 years - is confused, I can only imagine what beginners and intermediates are going through (there, now I feel better).

Thanks in advance

Aj
Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Midi Drums and bass (Xpand2) lose sync-aye carumba

Can you reproduce the issue on a newly created session?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Did You Look To See If You Inadvertently Added A Tempo Change After You Recorded The Gits And Vox?

Look In The Tempo Ruler, In The "Views" Drop Down Menu...
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM

filo,

I was able to reproduce this problem with the loops in Xpand. The interesting thing is if I create my own drum track using the midi pencil there's no problem. Same with an audio track, no problem with those - just the drum loops in Xpand. Very frustrating.

Thanks

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Fab,

That's a great suggestion. I noticed this happened on 2 other sessions, but I didn't check this particular one. The thing that's odd is I did not create the flag but I notice them popping up at times and now I realize they can cause a change reaction of problems.

I'll let you know if this works. Thanks

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.