Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM

Default Control Surface For Protools 10 Mackie Pro Control or Avid Artist Control

Just want your honest opinion. I just have a bad experience with the Artist Control and I don't know how reliable could be the Artist Control series down the road.
Also can the HUI protocol will be alive for long enough for the Mackie Pro Control to be competitive?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Control Surface For Protools 10 Mackie Pro Control or Avid Artist Control

I was fortunate to happen up on a slightly used Euphonix mix controller a few months ago at the local Samash store.

I was able to talk the guy down to $599 - a little less than half off :)

BUT . . . i've really had a time with the unit being recognized when I first boot up. I have determined that if my air wi-fi is on it will generate a conflict / error message every time. Then I have to open the euphonic software and select the controller manually from the available list - - every time.

The only time that the controller is automatically recognized on boot up is if the wi-fi router is down.

Can't seem to find any solution for that issue either.

Other than that it seems to work pretty well with PT-10HD.

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Control Surface For Protools 10 Mackie Pro Control or Avid Artist Control

I would go with the Artist Series, can take a bit of setting up, but it's the best way to future proof IMHO
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM

I will never go back with the Artist Control and here is all the problems that I have and as today date I'm still waiting from Avis support to help me.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321985

I dont know about a bit of setting up, but a month full of problems if enough. After talk with 2 others studio owners they also had so many issues before but never something similar to mine.

Its enough for me.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
I was fortunate to happen up on a slightly used Euphonix mix controller a few months ago at the local Samash store.

I was able to talk the guy down to $599 - a little less than half off :)

BUT . . . i've really had a time with the unit being recognized when I first boot up. I have determined that if my air wi-fi is on it will generate a conflict / error message every time. Then I have to open the euphonic software and select the controller manually from the available list - - every time.

The only time that the controller is automatically recognized on boot up is if the wi-fi router is down.

Can't seem to find any solution for that issue either.

Other than that it seems to work pretty well with PT-10HD.
Mine was perfect connected to the router but not connected to the computer. I changed the IP address to static but if I disconnected the cable and connected again the whole connection got lost for ever and I get a network error, and the only way to fix it was re-installing the whole Win 7 OS.
A pain in the butt.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM

One wonders after years of threads like this when Avid is going to step up to the plate and release something dependable for the what is supposed to be a world standard in Pro Tools. It amazes me how many problems these units have had with no new solution from the company.

Threads like this are the reason I haven't bought one.

TH
Old 05-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
One wonders after years of threads like this when Avid is going to step up to the plate and release something dependable for the what is supposed to be a world standard in Pro Tools. It amazes me how many problems these units have had with no new solution from the company.

Threads like this are the reason I haven't bought one.

TH
They have the c24 is pretty solid, the m-audio projectmix is also pretty solid as a controller, although you'll need external preamps for it, as the one on it aren't that good. Fortunatly the price of the PMIO isn't expensive for a controller that is extensively integrated to pro tools.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 PM

I have an Omni with HD Native.

Can that Project mix be used without using it as an interface?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 AM

Avid artist control is 100x better then any mackie based controller. You can program buttons to it that only icons have had up until now for about 25000 dollars less.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
I have an Omni with HD Native.

Can that Project mix be used without using it as an interface?
Yes it can. You set it up as the controller in the peripheral, but you set up the audio engine to be the inputs that you have on the other interface example a liquid saffire 56 or something else that you might have.

Wave-T.com