Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM

Default Importing 5.1 mov files into ProTools 10

Ive downloaded some trailers from the internet and I want to be able to import them into Protools with each of their 6 channels separate. How can I import them into Pro Tools? I've done it before (with PT 9) but PT 10 gives me an error. Is there some sort of workaround?

Also, Ive confirmed that the original files are 5.1 in Quicktime Pro and it plays back on my 5.1 system.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Importing 5.1 mov files into ProTools 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyente View Post
Ive downloaded some trailers from the internet and I want to be able to import them into Protools with each of their 6 channels separate. How can I import them into Pro Tools? I've done it before (with PT 9) but PT 10 gives me an error. Is there some sort of workaround?

Also, Ive confirmed that the original files are 5.1 in Quicktime Pro and it plays back on my 5.1 system.
They are encoded files. They don't contain individual files. Your 5.1 system is decoding it.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
They are encoded files. They don't contain individual files. Your 5.1 system is decoding it.
Do you know of a way (without physically rerecording each channels) to separate them?

I was able to split the channels up before but I don't remember how I did it. I know it was done with Quicktime and ProTools 9
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM

Every time I try to import the mov files into ProTools 10, I get the following message in regards to imported the audio from the mov file:

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/ws.ProTools_10.0.1/AlturaPorts/NewFileLibs/FileFormat/MacBuild/../../FF/Audio/Processing/FF_AudioProcessReadFiles.cpp",line 283.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Dude,

you are not understanding. The audio is not an audio file. It is an encoded file. Most likely and AC-3 file.

So when PT is trying to determine what file type it is, it is saying, "This is not a proper audio file".

AC-3 is an encoded file. It needs a decoder to play it. Quicktime has this built in. So Quicktime is decoding it into 5.1.

AC-3 encodes to a stereo file, but if you were to listen to it undecoded it would be nothing but noise.

Pro Tools will not split an AC3 encoded file into audio files.

Final Cut used to have this thing called A-Pack that would take an AC-3 file and convert it into split audio files.
Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.

Try MPEG streamclip. If I remember, it would decode AC3's into split files, but you have to run it for each set of pairs.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Do you know of a way (without physically rerecording each channels) to separate them?

I was able to split the channels up before but I don't remember how I did it. I know it was done with Quicktime and ProTools 9
You can export the individual channels from Quicktime 7.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.armadillo View Post
Pro Tools 9 runs on OS SL. Snow Leopard is QT 10. I don't see that option in QT 10
Old 03-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Dude,

you are not understanding. The audio is not an audio file. It is an encoded file. Most likely and AC-3 file.

So when PT is trying to determine what file type it is, it is saying, "This is not a proper audio file".

AC-3 is an encoded file. It needs a decoder to play it. Quicktime has this built in. So Quicktime is decoding it into 5.1.

AC-3 encodes to a stereo file, but if you were to listen to it undecoded it would be nothing but noise.

Pro Tools will not split an AC3 encoded file into audio files.

Final Cut used to have this thing called A-Pack that would take an AC-3 file and convert it into split audio files.
Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.

Try MPEG streamclip. If I remember, it would decode AC3's into split files, but you have to run it for each set of pairs.
OK. Do you know how I can export each channel? I downloaded MPEG Streamclip but it doesn't let me export all 6 channels. I wish I could remember how I did it last year in PT9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.armadillo View Post
Perfect. How do I export each individual channel from Quicktime 7?
Quote:
Pro Tools 9 runs on OS SL. Snow Leopard is QT 10. I don't see that option in QT 10
I have Quicktime Pro v7.6.6. Do you know how to export it from QT7?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
OK. Do you know how I can export each channel? I downloaded MPEG Streamclip but it doesn't let me export all 6 channels. I wish I could remember how I did it last year in PT9.

Perfect. How do I export each individual channel from Quicktime 7?

I have Quicktime Pro v7.6.6. Do you know how to export it from QT7?
Look under save as...
Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Look under save as...
When I select Save as there are several options to choose from. Ive tried it with some options to no avail. What option should I choose that will allow me to export all 6 channels?