Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 AM

Default auto backup question

I am trying to figure out how to make auto backup where I want it to be done...

1) In PREFERENCES > Operation : I can see that auto backup is set to be done every 5 minutes (10 last updates). But I do not see where it is done nore how I can change this. Unless the section below (User Library) is exactly this ? - In which case, this means (now) that by default it is backed up the last place I want it, that is on the Mac HD drive ??... (Therefore, I would change it - one, for better safety, two - to avoid getting that SSD drive crowded in no time.

2) I also read articles saying I could use (session by session I guess) the function "Save Copy In". However, the issue in that case is I do not see any way to see or change location of that copy...

In both cases, I would assume it would backup everything - audio, midi files, etc. ?

Also, How about using a 1TB DropBox for and additional (3rd, external) backup ?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 AM

Default Re: auto backup question

Automatic backups are always done to the session folder.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstrad View Post
I am trying to figure out how to make auto backup where I want it to be done...

1) In PREFERENCES > Operation : I can see that auto backup is set to be done every 5 minutes (10 last updates). But I do not see where it is done nore how I can change this.
You cannot change the location of where the auto backups are saved. They are saved in /path/to/session/Session File Backups.

Quote:
2) I also read articles saying I could use (session by session I guess) the function "Save Copy In". However, the issue in that case is I do not see any way to see or change location of that copy…
When you use Save Copy In, you are prompted to choose where the copy is saved.

Quote:
In both cases, I would assume it would backup everything - audio, midi files, etc. ?
Session File Backups are only the .ptx session file. No other data is automatically backed up as part of that process.

Save Copy In allows you to choose what you want to save a copy of.

Quote:
Also, How about using a 1TB DropBox for and additional (3rd, external) backup ?
For .ptx files, sure. For entire sessions, you are going to need a massive amount of bandwidth to make saving an entire session to DropBox practical.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:37 PM

Thanks for these explanations, indeed yes I believe the Copy option is a good way.

However, to have something external - done manually, not in real time (saving projects...), I am still thinking of DropBox. Bandwidth is not a concern as I do not expect backup while working on a project.

On DropBox site, I see this :

Right now, Dropbox will only sync the files in your Dropbox folder.

However, there is a way to sync a folder using Dropbox and still access it from outside your Dropbox folder. For example, say you want to use Dropbox to backup a folder and make it accessible from all of your computers. However, you still want to be able to access it from its current location. In this instance, you can move the folder you want Dropbox to sync into your Dropbox folder and set up a shortcut (Windows), alias (Mac OS X), or link (Linux) to access it from its former location.

Not sure I can really do it and work from the folder if it is only an alias, can I ?? How safe it is ? Anyone does that ?

Only solution appears to be : copy manually the ProTools project folder to the DropBox folder (so it now takes twice the space on the computer....), and let the copy sync to DropBox...

Rob

Last edited by JFreak; 01-25-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: fixed color tag
Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 AM

https://www.backblaze.com/?gclid=CKC...FaFr7AodSFkAfw

Might want to look at something like this over Dropbox. Gonna be way cheaper.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Post Re: auto backup question

One of my coworkers uses Backblaze for his personal backups. He thinks it is great.

As for the syncing of a folder that is not within the DropBox folder, you are best served with a symbolic link. There are two types of symbolic links. One is called a hard link. The other is just called a symbolic link. You should not need a hard link for what you want to do.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:58 PM

Thanks for these info and tips about DropBox.

About BackBlaze I might try this. However, I'm reading much more complaints than pros on the service - fantastic until one tries to recover something... Not sure...

But it would indeed looks very interesting - although I do not aim to backup 5 TBs over a month at 10 GB per day (it's possible to set filters but... how many with 6HDDs and hundreds of folders on this machine...

But interesting to know other options - very appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob