Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Picture Has Been RE-Cut

Hi,

I've been working on an indie horror movie whose %80 of dialogs is ADR. The Session consists of 45 tracks right now. I got a phone call from the director about considering re-cutting the picture. The picture editor has just confirmed that. He told me that that they're going to add pieces here and there. I am couple days away from shipping the session out for Final Mixing. I was wondering if there is an easy way to adjust 65 Tracks to the new version of the picture rather than shifting around the tracks.
I'll appreciate any help. Details regarding session and other stuff are below.

Cheers

berk

PT 6.4 LE on XP
45 tracks(will be 65 on Monday when music arrives)
80 min. long movie as one big piece in the PT
picture edited on Final Cut 3.5
Old 08-17-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Picture Has Been RE-Cut

Make sure they send you a "Change List" EDL. But without spending a hefty amount of money for software to automate the task, you'll pretty much be cutting and pasting.

"I bent my wookie"
Old 08-17-2005, 10:26 PM

Hope you're getting paid by the hour.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 08-18-2005, 12:23 AM
The Cargo Cult

check out the conformalizer
www.maggot.co.nz

cheap and easy.

get the editor to output Video EDLs (CMX3600) or film CUTLISTS for both versions of the picture.
you could even use an AVID change note.

the software compares the two versions and then conforms the audio in your session.

you can line up the two picture files and see them playing down together.

it will also conform the timecode values in your ADR database/list if you need to put some cues back up for looping.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:22 AM

hi!

interesting link.
the main problem still exists (does it?):
So one question: Is this "conforming" based on the whole protools timeline?
I want to have master sessions (after main mix) conformed, for example:
As all ADR, Fx Sounds, Music etc is in this session, will the software adapt the whole session, or simply place the former - from Avid - files in the right position.
This would be worthless for me, since I´d have to shift all other data anyway.

thanx,
mubeau
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if there is an easy way to adjust 65 Tracks to the new version of the picture rather than shifting around the tracks.
Hello,

One option to consider is Editrace. They have a web based solution that allows you to upload suitable materials about the change (I belive it may be 2 EDL's, or a changelist.... not certain). Then for a small amount of $ (I don't recall how much, but less than $100), the website generates a list that can be used with their free utility for automated recutting of the session.

I've not used the service, but have considered it several times when manually recutting sessions. I have spoken via email with the developer, and the software has some big name credits. He's a great contact, and was very supportive of my questions.

Hope this helps.

Brad McIlvaine
Sr. Mixer/Designer
Henninger Media Services
Washington, DC 20036
Washington, DC 20036
Old 08-18-2005, 07:56 AM

Thanks alot for all replies.

Quote:

So one question: Is this "conforming" based on the whole protools timeline?
I want to have master sessions (after main mix) conformed, for example:
As all ADR, Fx Sounds, Music etc is in this session, will the software adapt the whole session, or simply place the former - from Avid - files in the right position.
This would be worthless for me, since I´d have to shift all other data anyway.
thanx,
mubeau
That's exactly what I need
My other concern is that I got the two main sessions that are on two different PCs synched via MIDIoverLan. so I have to find the best way to get out of this predicament without any mess-up.
Great links ...
Thanks again

berk
Old 08-18-2005, 08:30 AM

You need to make it very clear that you need a complete edit list as to what was changed, where, and anythign that was moved, by how many frames.

Cahnces are you'll be moving stuff yoruself. I would make it clear that this is goign to cost them.

It pisses me off whenever you tell an indie production company with no money, that they HAVE to lock picture before you start editing. And then they go and change it at the 11th hour, and think it's as easy for you to fix it, as it was for them to change it.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 AM

Editrace is great for re-conforming to a new EDL. As Brad said you convert your EDL via their website to a file that the free Editrace app uses to recut your session. Last time I used it the cost was $27 per EDL, so it's very cost effective. You just need to set up an account with them to get started.

There's also another account option that lets any editor (authorized by you - useful if you have teams working on projects) convert EDLs.

I found the whole business model a little hard to get my head around at first . . . but they were quick to explain it all, and it works great.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:59 AM

You could always set Pro Tools' group mode to "All", put yourself in "shuffle" mode, and using the EDL provided from the picture editor conform yourself. It's as simply as locating the start and end feet+frame location for each edit decision and either "Inserting Silence" (if they added to the timeline) or deleting (if they removed from the timeline). The key is to do this in shuffle mode, and check your works after every few edits.