Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 03:31 PM

Default PT LE/002 Rack question anyone!?- thanks!, Jenn :)

This may sound like a dumb question, but I just purchaced PT LE w/ 002 Rack, and am plugging into a Ibook G4 running OSX 10.3, I recently upgraded and software works fine with hardware. The one main reason I purchaced this system was to continue to be a potable studio, editing on the fly, on location..obviously without the hardware connected recording is possible, but just for editing alone it's perfect. The LE software WILL NOT startup without the Firewire cable connected to the Rack.. like it's needing to be "slaved" to the Rack in order to make the software work. I have PT 4.1, which runs just fine for older macs, have been trying to bring this over to the Ibook in the meantime for some projects. This new LE is slick, but pretty much worthless to me if I want to take my laptop to work on music for a while out to the park or on a plane or to a friend's house or in the pool, or anywhere alse I fricken want to. Am I just retarded or something? Does this software actually have to be connected to the 002 Rack to operate?? Digi says on their website that it works "In tandem" with the hardware, but says nothing about it working as a regular program without. Anyone with the answer to this question has my greatest appreciation.
Cheers!

- Jennifer
Old 01-10-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: PT LE/002 Rack question anyone!?- thanks!, Jen

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Jen, but you do need the 002R to be attached to the laptop in order for PTLE to start up. An option is to pick up an MBox, which is a much smaller piece of hardware and might make "editing on the go" a bit less of a hassle.

Personally, I'd like to see a hardware-free version of PTLE myself, but there's been tons of discussion on this list over the probabliity of that happening...and while it's a feature most would like to see, many of us (myself inculded) are doubtful that it will ever happen.
San Diego, CA
Old 01-10-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Re: PT LE/002 Rack question anyone!?- thanks!, Jenn :)

Unforunately, you are not retarded. Software won't run unless the hardware is hooked up. Best you can do is go buy an Mbox...
Old 01-10-2004, 04:31 PM

I think the best answer you can give Jenn is tell her to pick up cubase or logic

1 ] it's cheaper
2 ] less lim itations
3 ] comes with mastering plug ins
4 ] will give you suround sound capabilities
5 ] you can with dsp cards for VST's
6 ] last but not least IT WILL SHOW DIGI THAT IF OTHERS OFFER THEIR SOFTWARE WITHOUT HARDWARE
THEN INSTEAD OF BUYING AN M BOX THEY WILL HAVE TO GIVE US A DONGLE OR LOSE THE SALE

thnx
Old 01-10-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Re: PT LE/002 Rack question anyone!?- thanks!, Jenn :)

Quote:
Unforunately, you are not retarded. Software won't run unless the hardware is hooked up. Best you can do is go buy an Mbox...
Um, maybe a better way to phrase this would be: "Fortunately, you are not retarted. What IS retarted is that the Software
won't run unless the hardware is hooked up...."

Sorry, couldn't resist.
HL
Old 01-10-2004, 06:20 PM

Well I hear ya guys, Digi should develop a ILok type of device which would allow us to go hardware free, for mixing and editing. this could be a utter pain in the ass, but there is a way around........

Protools free, but that's only OS9 (and 8 tracks) you'd have to partition your drives, but if your computer can boot in OS9 you could.........Hey I think Digi makes a carry case for the 002r, and laptop.....I think I saw something like that in the Sweetwater catalog.

Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 01-10-2004, 06:24 PM

look what i found
just a thought

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigiPackBag/
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 01-10-2004, 07:31 PM

Quote:
6 ] last but not least IT WILL SHOW DIGI THAT IF OTHERS OFFER THEIR SOFTWARE WITHOUT HARDWARE
THEN INSTEAD OF BUYING AN M BOX THEY WILL HAVE TO GIVE US A DONGLE OR LOSE THE SALE

Last time I checked, Cubase + a low end audio card costs more than the Mbox which has PT bundled with it. Basically you are buying PT and they throw the dongle ( the Mbox) in for free. Do the math.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 01-10-2004, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Basically you are buying PT and they throw the dongle ( the Mbox) in for free
Actually, you're buying the hardware, and basically getting PTLE for free (thus the PTLE Free version).

Old 01-11-2004, 01:10 AM

Last time I checked, Cubase + a low end audio card costs more than the Mbox which has PT bundled with it. Basically you are buying PT and they throw the dongle ( the Mbox) in for free. Do the math.

yeah spending 100 extra to get no limits and a dongle

doesn't add up yeah right