Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 04:35 AM

Default mac mini duo core

i am just trying to get a real world perspective on the performance of these machines. i currently am running a pc in the studio. would like to switch over to mac. the mini seems the cheapest way as i already have a 23in lcd and tons of external firewire hard drives hard drives. how would the 1.66ghz duo core compare to my 3ghz p4? would i be down grading by moving to a mac mini?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 AM

Default Re: mac mini duo core

I have ordered my MAC MINI (Duo 1.66, 2 Gig Ram, 002r, factory,MPTB), just waiting for delivery.
I have been running G-4 001 for years and have been very happy. Obviousely Limited power and latency have been issues, but as soon as you except them and get on with it, all is cool.
I am a little nervouse about the MINI hopeing that it meets my requirements.
I figure, if it falls short, I will sell it quick and get a bigger machine.
One thing that I have noticed on this DUC (fairly obviouse, I suppose) is the different requiements for different users. For myself, it is all about mixing contemperary music, so I will use as many Plugins as the machine will allow.
I think, if you are doing post, you should wait for a while as the MINI doesn't have a dedicated graphics card and shares resourses. This may affect performance when working with Movie clips.
I can't really comment on the difference between PC and this machine, but I hope you sort it all out.
cheers
Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 PM

I'm using a Core Duo with a gig of ram and the Mini is has well exceeded my expectations. Previously worked from G4 single 867 and all sessions have transferred over with no problems and plenty of processing plugin power to spare.

I do work in post and the integrated graphics card did concern me...but not any more. Playback of PT with video is smooth and clean. No issues whatsoever. I'm also using a Canopus running video out firewire to a monitor and even with audio and video running out the Mini's single firewire port there are no problems. Even when not using the Canopus movies play perfectly from withing PT itself. I've had no low system resources warnings with the MIni. Again, I'm not doing music but with 12-15 tracks, medium plugin usage and a movie playing...the Mini has performed with flying colors...

Very, very satisfied.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:46 AM

any other mini users out there with feedback?