Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-05-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Suggestions for inexpensive PCI Express USB card?

EricM of Digidesign recently said on the DUC:

“We've found that, in the cases where we've been able to reproduce this (Mac Pro Mb-ox1 random loud noise) problem, it can be solved by installing a PCI (Express) USB adapter, and plugging the Mbox / Mbox 2 into the PCI (Express) USB adapter rather than using the built-in USB ports. PCI (Express) USB adapters can be had for less than $20 these days. If you'd like to try this out, we'd love to hear whether it solves the problem on your config. However, please be aware that we can give absolutely no guarantees that this will be a solution.

So - any tips for a cheap PCI Express USB card for my Mac Pro? I’d love to buy it on the internet and have it delivered to me. Bonus points if it has FireWire 400 on the PCI EXpress card as well, but is still inexpensive....

many thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for inexpensive PCI Express USB card?

anyone?

how about this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-Froogle

It is $30, not $20......

Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for inexpensive PCI Express USB ca

The product you linked to at NewEgg does not claim mac compatibility, so I would avoid it. In fact, I've just done a quick search of NewEgg, Fry's and froogle and I'm not seeing any obvious candidates for a PCI Express system. You may be out of luck, or may just need to do some more in-depth searching than I've done.

I apologize if my comment about these adapters being available for less than $20 was misleading. I bought a PCI USB adapter, for use in a PowerMac G4, at retail for something like $10 just a few weeks ago, and that's what was on my mind when I wrote the post.

-EricM
DAE Software Engineer