Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2016, 02:22 AM

Default Temporary Grid Mode when holding down Command in Pro Tools 12.6

So this seems to be a new feature in 12.6 whilst in shuffle or slip mode and it's a nice idea and all but is there any way to disable it? Because it's kinda screwing up a work flow of mine that I use everyday.
Alternatively is there any other way or suggestion to clear a selection from the left side of the keyboard other than Command-B (not involving cmd)?
Old 10-10-2016, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Temporary Grid Mode when holding down Command in Pro Tools 12.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx1609 View Post
So this seems to be a new feature in 12.6 whilst in shuffle or slip mode and it's a nice idea and all but is there any way to disable it? Because it's kinda screwing up a work flow of mine that I use everyday.
Alternatively is there any other way or suggestion to clear a selection from the left side of the keyboard other than Command-B (not involving cmd)?
Might want to read through this.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384591

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:47 AM

How about Delete?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
is there any way to disable it?
Yes. Reinstall 12.5.2 or whatever version you were using before you updated to 12.6 without reading the release notes.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
How about Delete?
Delete's on the wrong side of the keyboard. It's a workflow/rate thing.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Yes. Reinstall 12.5.2 or whatever version you were using before you updated to 12.6 without reading the release notes.
The release notes would not have made me realise that quickly making a selection and clearing with Cmd-B the may briefly overlap in time every now and then thus compromising the selection and clearing the wrong area, slowly making me die of frustration.
But thanks for the reply. I'm gonna take it as a no, there's nothing I can do about.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
The release notes would not have made me realise that quickly making a selection and clearing with Cmd-B the may briefly overlap in time every now and then thus compromising the selection and clearing the wrong area, slowly making me die of frustration.
But thanks for the reply. I'm gonna take it as a no, there's nothing I can do about.
Make sure you are in "Command Focus" mode (the little "A...Z" box in the top right of the edit window - as opposed to it being highlighted in the clip list, or group list).

Just hit "x" to cut the selection.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Make sure you are in "Command Focus" mode (the little "A...Z" box in the top right of the edit window - as opposed to it being highlighted in the clip list, or group list).

Just hit "x" to cut the selection.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately i very often have something in my clipboard to paste so x won't work. Also because I do 100s of these cuts it does clutter the clip list with crap if I use x instead of cmd-b.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:09 PM

anyone find a way to disable this yet? It's especially irritating when trying to trim within fades, as when the fade gets pretty small the trimmer stops moving inward towards the other side of the fade. I used to use the command key in slip mode to work around this. Now that it's changed I definitely notice it.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:07 AM

it’s “COMMAND” “z”, “x”, “c”, or “v”.. in about every piece of software we use. But do that in ProTools, my selection automatically snaps to the grid right before I copy or delete - so I end up with upcuts or extra space - NOT what I selected, sometimes I don’t even realize it happened. So for me it means “undo” go back, do over. Time = wasted.

The reasoning is you don’t need to hit the “command” button in PT keyboard focus mode - you just hit the “x” or “c” - no modifier key needed. But muscle memory is strong - I have to be really conscious of NOT hitting “command”. Before there was no consequence if you did, now there is.

I’m mostly editing voiceover for radio promos and have no use for this new feature, when I want things to snap to the grid I hit “F4” and work in Grid mode.

Thanks for reading, hoping Avid would consider enabling us to turn off this feature.