Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-19-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Loop Record doesn't record

So I made a new track as Instrument (I recorded the Drums via the PT plugin "Boom").
For Instruments there are neither waveform nor playlist available from the Edit Track View.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney60 View Post
So I made a new track as Instrument (I recorded the Drums via the PT plugin "Boom").
For Instruments there are neither waveform nor playlist available from the Edit Track View.
Instrument tracks are not for recording Audio. You are not going to make good progress stumbling around like this trying to get started with such a complex piece of software. It's normally better to start by following some Pro Tools tutorials covering what you are trying to do. Your Tube is a good place to find them. There are commercial courses as well, the Pro Tools 101 book, and ultimately the Pro Tools Reference Guide which is installed on your computer already and where you can read about what an Instrument tracks vs. Audio tracks.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 AM

I'd like to tell that I have solved the problem.

I don't have to tell all the pros around here that PT makes differences between Audio and Instrument (I finally learned last night). But on my opinion that's a really confusing way to manage records, especially because the way to do it on an "Audio-Track" is some kind of different (and really ALL tutorials I found obtain on how to record loop Audio-Tracks. Really funny, but that was the hardest point to figure out the whole mess).

So to loop record Drums, you have to create an Instrument-Track, then
activate midi merge, ONLY loop the "Play"-Button in the Transport-Window, activate "Wait on Note" in that same Window, then "Input Quantize" via Event-Input. Maybe you can also create a Click-Track – and then … have fun.