Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 09-10-2012, 02:07 AM

Default pro tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program- can't fix it

I know this is an old problem, but no matter what I do, I just can solve it.

Im on Laptop fujitsu core2dou with win7 64 bit. the audio interface is ZOON H4n.

I tried everything - from trashing databases to reinstall the softs and drivers. I tried it on total other computer (brand new samsung laptop) with i5.

this BUG keep comnig back -
"pro tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program"

I changed the buffer, i changed USB cable, I turned it on and off, changed USB location.

Please help me.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Default Re: pro tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program- can't fix

Anyone?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Default Re: pro tools hardware is either not installed or used by another program- can't fix

You mean the Zoom H4n?

When launching Pro Tools hold down "N" until the playback engine window pops up... select the Zoom (if it shows up) in the drop down menu and click OK... It should load pro tools using that device... see if that works...

If it doesn't show up there might not be a driver for it to work with PT... I have only read about Cubase with that device.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Thanx but been there done that.

The ZOOM driver do recognized, but as soon as I change that, the PT drops the message and then closed. It is not just a ZOOM problem. It also happened with Edirol and Presonus (even with 003) with other guys here - but no straight answer from AVID?

Is there any Digitech around?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:13 AM

I would have mentioned that information in your initial paragraph... you have way more issues than just getting PT to work with the Zoom...

I would completely uninstall PT and all the drivers you have installed....

Start with a simple fresh clean install of PT... Download the latest drivers from Avid and install what you need... (like 003 drivers, MIDI I/O) located here:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en379411

Id start with just one unit.. say the 003... If after the reinstall and driver install and reboot you cant get it to work with the 003 (by the previous mentioned method of holding N down at PT launch and selecting 003) there is a bigger issue...

If it does work, then try to install the driver for the Zoom and see if it takes... Its possible you have a driver issue with one driver not allowing another to work, etc..
Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 AM

I'm working ONLY with the zoom and PT9. All mentioned above are only examples from other people (003, edirol, Presonus). Please read my first message propely.

I need help - Why do I get this message and what can I do to solve it? How do I get to a REAL Avid support? I want my PT9, I bought with money to work properly with my computer and my audio device as it should be.

The reason I bought 9 was because the flexible hardware thing.
The Zoom H4n works flawlessly with Nuendo and Sonar and Abelton.

The idea of not getting a support or answer to a very common "bug" drives me mad. I need to keep working and I'm stuck..

Avid - I'm a customer and I need support.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM

This is a USERS forum, not Avid's Technical Support, sorry. Avid does drop in from time-to-time, but you need to contact Avid directly if you want Avid Tech Support.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 PM

I've had this problem with PT8 and 003, upgraded to PT9, still the same problem, the audio driver seems to crash or something. Mostly though I use Logic with the 003, and guess what, the connection between soft and hardware gets lost every now and so often. Sometimes I'll go get some food, and when I get back after a while the audio connection has stopped, with a need to restart.
People have been complaining for long, but Avid have not been able to program a stable driver for their products. I mean, seriously, the 003 and PT9 wasn't exactly cheap. Next time I get behringer. Chances are it'll work better! I'll not get any avid and PT again, there are other great systems out there too!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 PM

My suggestion is don't use pro tools. I produce/engineer 40 albums a year and decided last week to buy a mbox / pro tools 9 for home editing on a very powerful high power laptop, so I don't have to sit in the studio 12 hours a day.. This same error has happened to me every time I turn the system on. I have to re-install pro tools and the Mbox drivers EVERY TIME I TURN THE COMPUTER ON TO RUN PRO TOOLS.. It's simply to get you to buy tech support. Why not just make a good product - it should operate perfectly from purchase.

My pro tools is going back through the window of the dealer because they said there is no tech support without purchasing it, and no returns on software items. So if I spent $800 on a product and it doesn't work I'm screwed.. What a racket.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdrummerrob View Post
My suggestion is don't use pro tools. I produce/engineer 40 albums a year and decided last week to buy a mbox / pro tools 9 for home editing on a very powerful high power laptop, so I don't have to sit in the studio 12 hours a day.. This same error has happened to me every time I turn the system on. I have to re-install pro tools and the Mbox drivers EVERY TIME I TURN THE COMPUTER ON TO RUN PRO TOOLS.. It's simply to get you to buy tech support. Why not just make a good product - it should operate perfectly from purchase.

My pro tools is going back through the window of the dealer because they said there is no tech support without purchasing it, and no returns on software items. So if I spent $800 on a product and it doesn't work I'm screwed.. What a racket.

Newly registered products come with 1 code to call support.

Have you gone through he Help Us Help You thread and followed?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig