How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Mbox 3 Pro External Headphone Amplifier Issue

Hi,

I use an Mbox 3 Pro and have it sending stereo feed (Outputs 3-4) to a headphone amplifier so more than 2 of us can monitor our mix with individual volumes. This has worked great so far because through the Mbox Control panel I am able to send the main mix through my normal monitors (Outputs 1-2) as well as the headphone amplifier(outputs 3-4).

My problem is that when we are listening to the mix through headphones, we do not want the monitors playing. the main control knob on the Mbox 3 Pro controls the speaker outputs. I am unable to send sound to the headphone amplifier when the volume is turned down. The 2 headphone jacks on the Mbox 3 pro work independently of the main volume knob, however I'd like to utilize my headphone amplifier for additional headphones/cues.

Any ideas? As of right now the only way i can make this work is by physically unplugging my monitors from the mbox, but that is not an ideal solution by any means.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Pro External Headphone Amplifier Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by giltzer14 View Post
Hi,

I use an Mbox 3 Pro and have it sending stereo feed (Outputs 3-4) to a headphone amplifier so more than 2 of us can monitor our mix with individual volumes. This has worked great so far because through the Mbox Control panel I am able to send the main mix through my normal monitors (Outputs 1-2) as well as the headphone amplifier(outputs 3-4).

My problem is that when we are listening to the mix through headphones, we do not want the monitors playing. the main control knob on the Mbox 3 Pro controls the speaker outputs. I am unable to send sound to the headphone amplifier when the volume is turned down. The 2 headphone jacks on the Mbox 3 pro work independently of the main volume knob, however I'd like to utilize my headphone amplifier for additional headphones/cues.

Any ideas? As of right now the only way i can make this work is by physically unplugging my monitors from the mbox, but that is not an ideal solution by any means.
Put one of these between your M-Box and your monitors..
http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilot.asp ff
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Hmm...that looks pretty cool. I'm confused how that will help my situation though. I need some way, either hardware or software, that gives me a stereo send besides Out 1-2 and the 2 headphone jacks that is independent of the master volume knob. That device seems to give another place to control volume, but it will still rely on the mbox for initial volume control....
Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM

got to setup / output setup and make sure that "master volume" is not checked for the outputs that you want to use to drive your external headphone amp.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM

@manichouse - That did the trick! Thanks so much.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

glad you got it sorted