Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery

Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 AM

Default Digidelivery and Server issue

Hi all,

I have recently set up an OSX server alongside my Digidelivery LT unit. I have been able to either route port 80 to the Digidelivery or to the Server. If routed to the Digidelivery, then Digidelivery works but external network cannot access hosted website. If port 80 is routed to the Server, then Digidelivery cannot be seen, but external network can see website.

Is there a way to get both running? I have four ideas to try.
1) Is there some sort of header, port switch, etc that DigiDeliery clients use that I can set the router to identify and send that traffic on port 80 to Digidelivery.
2) Should I set the DNS servers and/or Gateway in the Digidelivery to look to the server? Then in the server Server Admin app, I can find a way to reroute traffic to the Digidelivery. (goes back to question 1. Is there an identifier?)
3) Should I leave all port 80 traffic to route to the Digidelivery and find a way to get HTTP traffic for web service onto some other port?
4) Can I set the Digidelivery to use SSL, route all port 443 traffic to the Digidelivery, and all port 80 traffic to the server? Will the Digidelivery clients work if they can't access port 80 at all?

Appreciate any help.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Digidelivery and Server issue

Quote:
I have recently set up an OSX server alongside my Digidelivery LT unit. I have been able to either route port 80 to the Digidelivery or to the Server. If routed to the Digidelivery, then Digidelivery works but external network cannot access hosted website. If port 80 is routed to the Server, then Digidelivery cannot be seen, but external network can see website.
Chris Markle here from Aspera... The simple answer to this is "no you can't share one external IP address between a web server and the DD server". Somewhere in the DD server documentation it says this. The simple approach would be for you to get a second IP address (you may laready have more than one anyway from your ISP) and put the web server on one address and the DD on the other. But let's try to respond to your specific questions below.
Quote:
Is there a way to get both running? I have four ideas to try.
1) Is there some sort of header, port switch, etc that DigiDeliery clients use that I can set the router to identify and send that traffic on port 80 to Digidelivery.
The DD client will use a few forms of URL to communicate to the server (e.g., http://server-name/control .../control2 or ../data. So maybe you could route based on that. An average SOHO router cannot do this I think. But you'd still have problems witn non-client http traffic to the DD server, like if you came in via the admin interface. That uses a more wide-ranging set of URLs tha would be harder to "route".
Quote:
2) Should I set the DNS servers and/or Gateway in the Digidelivery to look to the server? Then in the server Server Admin app, I can find a way to reroute traffic to the Digidelivery. (goes back to question 1. Is there an identifier?)
See #1.
Quote:
3) Should I leave all port 80 traffic to route to the Digidelivery and find a way to get HTTP traffic for web service onto some other port?
You could do this, say putting your web server on port 180 and people would use urls like http://www.yourname.com:180/xxx. The problem is that your customer will almost always just go to http://www.yourname.com and there's no way in the DD server to redirect them to the 180 port.
Quote:
4) Can I set the Digidelivery to use SSL, route all port 443 traffic to the Digidelivery, and all port 80 traffic to the server? Will the Digidelivery clients work if they can't access port 80 at all?
No they won't work in this case. DD clients require 80 to get routed to the DD server. Even if you set the DD server to use SSL, the client will still use 80. It skips using SSL since the client payload is always encrypted anyway. So 80 has to go to the DD server.

I think you'll be better served getting some sort of business class service where you get at least two IPs, then use one for your web server and the other for the DD server.

Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I have a business static IP address with my ISP, so I think that I can get another IP address. In that case, would it be in the router where I specify that IP #1 goes one direction and IP #2 goes another direction?

Thanks,
John
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I have a business static IP address with my ISP, so I think that I can get another IP address. In that case, would it be in the router where I specify that IP #1 goes one direction and IP #2 goes another direction.
Each router is a little different here but yes that is basically where the specification occurs. If it puts up a fight for you, consider just using the "DMZ" mode or whatever your router calls it and put the DD server in a "DMZ". If you go this way, you'll need to undo all that DD server port forwarding that you're doing now. So...

1. DMZ mode - the DD server will just be at an external IP (one of your static IPs) without any NAT'g so the DD server's IP address would be the static address. You and all remote users would access it using that single IP which would be one of your static IPs. You would do no port forwarding since there ins no NAT'g going on...

--or--

2. NAT mode - The DD server would have a private (192, 172 or 10) address, the router would translate from one of the static IPs to that private address, and you'd need to set port forwarding (as you're probably doing now) to map anything coming in on static IP A port x to go to that same port on the private side.

Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Chris,

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 PM

Chris,

OK. Problem with that solution. My router doesn't support two WAN IP's and the ones that do are expensive. I have seen some talk of putting a smart switch between the modem and the router to route the two static IP's.

I am pretty sure that this can be done from within the XServe, but then I imagine I would have to restructure my network so that the XServe is connected between the Modem and the Router.

I don't really want to mess with restructuring the network if I don't have to.

Any solutions? Any ideas about a smart switch?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Chris,

Sorry to bug you so much. One idea from the OSX Server community.

If the Digidelivery Client will take a hostname that is not an internet address (i.e. www.mywebsite.com/digidelivery instead of 72.84.xx.x), then I can route into and out of it from the XServe with a reverse name lookup in the DNS settings.

Could that work?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Redbeard,

Combo reply here to your last two emails...

Quote:
OK. Problem with that solution. My router doesn't support two WAN IP's and the ones that do are expensive. I have seen some talk of putting a smart switch between the modem and the router to route the two static IP's.
Yes that would work and it doesn't even take a "smart" switch. Any basic cheapo switch should work. You'd have your modem output go to a swich. You'd also plug your router and your DD server into the switch. You'd have you XServe and you other gear behind the router as you do now. That should work. We did the same at Aspera for some time before switching ISPs.

Quote:
One idea from the OSX Server community. If the Digidelivery Client will take a hostname that is not an internet address (i.e. www.mywebsite.com/digidelivery instead of 72.84.xx.x), then I can route into and out of it from the XServe with a reverse name lookup in the DNS settings. Could that work?
This will definitely not work. For receive operations for a DD server, the IP uses IP addresses only, which are derived from the dgd URL and communications with the central site. Use of host names are not possible in the current design.

Chris
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 AM

Chris,

Okay. I think that I have got the solution. Switch between the modem and router/DD Serv

Thanks,

John