Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2002, 09:54 AM

Default PT Free at 48k

I can't seem to get PT free to create a 48K session on my 266 wallstreet laptop. 48k is greyed out in the session setup window. Is it a limitation of the Mac? I've got a TDM rig and want to do some offline stuff. Anyone? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2002, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Default Re: PT Free at 48k

In the Pro Tools Free FAQs:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=4385

quote:
I can't find a way to set the sample rate in Pro Tools FREE on my Macintosh to 48kHz. Why not?

Sound Manager on the Macintosh no longer supports a sample rate of 48kHz. If you use the built-in sound of your Macintosh, the sample rate you can use is 44.1kHz.

ID:4385 Created:06/06/2000

As far as I know, the only Apple models that ever supported 48 k using Sound Manager were the Quadra 660 AV and 840 AV, which came out just before the PowerPC.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:39 PM

I know this is WAY old - but, what version of sound manager were those computers using - can we use that same version and work away at 48k?

I've got 48k sessions that I'd like to edit in PT free until I can afford an mbox.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:43 PM

not possible. sound manager is only capable of 44.1kHz.

mbox 4 u

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Stutter:
I know this is WAY old - but, what version of sound manager were those computers using - can we use that same version and work away at 48k?

I've got 48k sessions that I'd like to edit in PT free until I can afford an mbox.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:17 AM

Offline editing is not editing on the real thing as far as i know. Why not just convert all the files to 44.1 Kz on the TDM. It will introduce errors and samplerate artifactsnb etc., but who cares, you are going to do all of the editing again anyway......

Bastiaan
Old 04-23-2002, 04:11 PM

Myself, I wasn't thinking or talking about offline in the sense that I was planing on editing a copy of a file, with a different sample rate, quality etc - and I doubt the orginal poster was either.

I can't see a time when anyone would want to edit something twice, the same way.

Anyhow - my question was "if sound manager used to handle 48k - what was that version, I wanna try using it".

Most of the USB devices available will handle 48K. Actually - Final Cut Pro handles 48K (via DV etc etc) so, where is the 44.1 limit there??

Digi, are you saying sound manager doesn't handle it, or you've stripped the code to give DAE errors if tried...

Anyone else had any luck here??

I just wanna do a little editing on my iBook - I've got a TDM rig, but it's not the most portable thing to take with you...
Old 04-24-2002, 12:26 AM

>not possible. sound manager is only capable of 44.1kHz

IM Sound 2.2 - About the Sound Input Manager:
IM Sound 5.4 - About Sound Components:

siSampleRate
Get or set the sample rate to be produced by this device. The sample rate must be in the range 0 to 65535.65535 Hz. The sample rate is declared as a Fixed data type. In order to accommodate sample rates greater than 32 kHz, the most significant bit is not treated as a sign bit; instead, that bit is interpreted as having the value 32,768. The infoData parameter points to a buffer of type Fixed, which is the sample rate.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:45 AM

>Anyhow - my question was "if sound manager used to handle 48k - what was that version, I wanna try using it".

The Sound Manager handles 48k since the beginning. Please, take a look at http://www2.pescadoo.net/recorder.gif

What you see is an application recording at 48k on a Roland UA-5. The Rate is not an app preset, nor a resource string. Is it the very value returned by theSound Manager Sound Input Device converted to string.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
As far as I know, the only Apple models that ever supported 48 k using Sound Manager were the Quadra 660 AV and 840 AV, which came out just before the PowerPC.
To clarify, what I was talking about is using only the Mac's built-in sound ability, not using other hardware. The way this was accomplished was with special Motorola chips used in the 2 Quadra AV models that were capable of recording and playback from the mac's own audio inputs at up to 48 k. When the Power PC was released, they returned to the 44.1 k limit for whatever reasons.

So without additional hardware, I'm pretty sure you would need to have a Quadra AV model in order to record in true 48 k sound just using a mac.

I could be wrong, of course. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2002, 11:14 PM

Digiadmin - you're probably right.

What about using a Griffin iMic - does that unlock the "secret" 48khz?? According to their website they handle 48k.

TIA.