Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM

Default Anyone Know how to Generate a Click Track in PT 5.1?

A friend of mine has an older rig (PT 5.1 on OS 9). The way to generate a click track is different from more recent versions (just creating an aux track and opening an insert); the click comes straight from the computer's system through some sort of quicktime process. I found an article on it, but it was kind of complicated. It instructed the user to activate OSM (whatever that is) and some other stuff. Anyone know how to open the click and explain it concisely?

Many thanks.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Default Re: Anyone Know how to Generate a Click Track in PT 5.1?

I think, back in those days, most people used an audio track for click. Line them up manually.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 AM

Or MIDI to an external instrument. If you have the virus you could use that inside the computer.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks, Steve. I see we're neighbors. I live in North Hollywood, right by Van Nuys.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Always did them through a midi track with an external controller, recorded to an audio track. was easier that way than trying the digi method of the time.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Basically, draw a measure of midi notes on a midi track, duplicate that region as many times as you need for the song, draw in tempo/meter events if there are any tempo or meter changes. Send the output of that midi track to an instrument of your choice, then open that instrument on an aux track(I usually used softsamplecell or samplecell with a hihat sample loaded for this, but if you don't have those you could use quicktime music as you mentioned).

A little more work than the newer versions, but it becomes easy once you've set it up once.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
It instructed the user to activate OSM (whatever that is) and some other stuff.
OMS(Open music system), which is basically the equivalent of what is now audio midi setup in OSX.

It should be an orange icon that is most likely located on your system drive in Applications-> Opcode.

This is where you can connect and configure your midi interface/devices.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM

I use the standard midi click that Pro Tools provides; however, back in the 5.1 days, I would just record a click track type sound, i.e. hand clap or whatever turns you on, and then snap it to the bar. From there, highlight the sound and space to the next beat. From there you need and consolidate it, then duplicate it however long you need it.

Why go to that trouble? Because if you compare the midi click with a real time printed one, you'll notice that it's not that accurate. I'll still sometimes use a printed click, duplicated at the desired tempo if I want super accurate beat movement. Midi clicks are great as they are fast and convenient, but sometimes this other method is really helpful if you want a true lock on the tempo. Print a click track and check it out, it can be way off the bar. Hope this idea helps.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Thanx for the help...found this post and it got one thing done....

....but now I have a new problem...forgive my obtuseness (it's been a long time since I even used this program, so be gentle), but now I have an audio click-track in place, but when I record on any record-enabled track along with the click-track, the click-track bleeds thru onto the "live" recording track. I know this is just a brain-cramp on my part, but what have I done that is allowing this click to be bleeding thru? Thanx in advance
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Cross-talk during recording....

...never mind...I thought I was losing my mind....a re-install of Protools took care of the problem...just FYI for anyone else having the same trouble

geo