Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 not working with MacOS Sierra

Have you tried disabling SIP and reinstalling the driver? On previous forms regarding incompatible drivers, this process worked. Not sure if it will work with Mbox though. Might be worth a shot.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:55 PM

Now I finally figured out why my macOS Sierra kernel-panics on shut-down everytime, when working with audio in some form.

It's the Mbox Pro driver causing the panic.
How could I possibly be surprised?
It is ALWAYS AVID at the core of all problems. It always is.

That's why I haven't regretted for one second abandoning Pro Tools.
Needless to say I sticked with the MBox Pro as it was an investment I was stuck with, because of financial reasons.
And though it never worked perfect, it still works a LOT better with Logic Pro X than Pro Tools, now were talking about p'ssing customers in their face. It's hilarious, if it wasn't so sad at the same time!

However, getting rid of the Mbox Pro has always been on the todo list.
With this incident the project's been rushed even further.

But until then, dear AVID, would'nt you mind providing a driver update ASAP?
Thank you!
Old 10-01-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perh View Post
Now I finally figured out why my macOS Sierra kernel-panics on shut-down everytime, when working with audio in some form.

It's the Mbox Pro driver causing the panic.
How could I possibly be surprised?
It is ALWAYS AVID at the core of all problems. It always is.

That's why I haven't regretted for one second abandoning Pro Tools.
Needless to say I sticked with the MBox Pro as it was an investment I was stuck with, because of financial reasons.
And though it never worked perfect, it still works a LOT better with Logic Pro X than Pro Tools, now were talking about p'ssing customers in their face. It's hilarious, if it wasn't so sad at the same time!

However, getting rid of the Mbox Pro has always been on the todo list.
With this incident the project's been rushed even further.

But until then, dear AVID, would'nt you mind providing a driver update ASAP?
Thank you!
Yes please update ASAP

.., hopefully they will , and hopefully the AVID CORE Audio driver is fixed PRONTO .., and that been stopping me for the last 2.5 years - from having access too many things I want to use and now miss dearly.

I am currently saving for a new (non- avid) bigger and better interface .., but ATM I keep getting lumbered with one bill after the next (mini violins playing)
.., so am unfortunately stuck with my old M-Box3 pro for the time being ..,
I bought my MBox Pro about 4 -5 years ago ias it was cheap and worked well for it's price. I also had the belief originally that Avid would hopefully go out of their way to promptly support their own hardware
(which turns out to be less of a priority for them - which speaks volumes about them as a company)

I am guessing that the compatibility for MBox3 Pro with OS Sierra ..., and all my Daws / Apps/ Plugs/ V.I's with OS Sierra are hopefully not too far away ...., we.will just have to wait

The important thing is not to get impatient and jump the gun . Do not update to Sierra until you have first cleared that compatibility checklist for everything you use
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 10-02-2016, 02:20 AM

I know that I upgraded pretty fast. But that was due to getting close conectivity with iOS. And besides that I had NO problems with any other apps or plug-ins that I use with Logic Pro X.

Only AVID is causing problems.
I think it's not too much to ask these days to expect compatibility with the latest OS, as Apple run beta programs months before release. Even longer when it comes to close developer partners.
I don't buy into that it's because there is OS upgrades once a year, though I know it's frustrating for developers. AVID has ALWAYS been months behind in this game.
The reason is that they dont give a d.mn!
They are the industry standard, so they know we all depend on them!
That's the very simple psychological rason behind this.

But there really is NO excuse, as everybody does it better.
In most cases a lot of developers simply writes better code, and seems more focused to stick to Apple's guidelines for staying on edge with system changes. Often these changes are warned years before they are introduced or phased out.
Once in a while it is acceptable that it goes wrong. But not repeatedly! And I guess it will take months before it's fixed. And that is solely due to low priority. If it gets fixed at all. You never know.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:47 PM

I upgraded to Sierra the last week of September and PT 12.6 this afternoon. All is happy and works as it should... except for a couple of graphic things with the MBox app, but the driver passes audio and that's all I care about.

Running on iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7
16GB RAM 256GB SSD/1TB HDD
Old 10-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I upgraded to Sierra the last week of September and PT 12.6 this afternoon. All is happy and works as it should... except for a couple of graphic things with the MBox app, but the driver passes audio and that's all I care about.

Running on iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7
16GB RAM 256GB SSD/1TB HDD
Yes. It passes audio perfectly. But provokes a kernel panic on computer shutdown.

The report genrerated by macOS clearly states that the mbox pro 3 driver is the problem. Also it only happens when the mbox pro is switched on, as that's when the driver .kext is loaded.

There's no doubt the driver is the problem.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:56 AM

HOW is your Mbox possibly working with Sierra?? Mine doesn't even show up as a recognized device in the Hardware setting anymore! Man, I totally screwed up and downloaded the new MacOs (Sierra.. I know, I know..smh) and while I can open protools and listen to stuff (through headphones on the back of my iMac), I cannot record through my mBox anymore. Anybody got any advice for a work around, or have an estimation as to when these clowns at Avid are gonna have an update that works with Sierra?

Dude that posted above is right--- HAVE a working update for Sierra AVID-- the Sierra BETA was available MONTHS ago!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 PM

Mine is working totally as it did with Yosemite (I skipped El Cap). The MBox app opens normally, everything works... don't know what to tell you.

One thing I have done is I've got a script I got from SonicStudio (the makers of soundBlade CD mastering software) that disables ALL stupid stuff within the OS. I run this religiously on ALL Macs in our facility and my iMac at home.

It disables the following and is selectable:

Termination Daemon
Disable Sleep Mode
Disable Hibernate
Disable Mission Control
Disable Time Machine
Disable Spotlight
Disable Launch Control
Disable Dashboard
Disable Notification Center
Disable NapApp
Remove Finder Quit Command

You double-click on the script, it opens Teminal, and does its duty. I can put the script on my domain and add a link to it if you're interested. That's the only thing I do different on all our Macs and it solves lots of issues.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
Mine is working totally as it did with Yosemite (I skipped El Cap). The MBox app opens normally, everything works... don't know what to tell you.

One thing I have done is I've got a script I got from SonicStudio (the makers of soundBlade CD mastering software) that disables ALL stupid stuff within the OS. I run this religiously on ALL Macs in our facility and my iMac at home.

It disables the following and is selectable:

Termination Daemon

Disable Sleep Mode

Disable Hibernate

Disable Mission Control

Disable Time Machine

Disable Spotlight

Disable Launch Control

Disable Dashboard

Disable Notification Center

Disable NapApp

Remove Finder Quit Command

You double-click on the script, it opens Teminal, and does its duty. I can put the script on my domain and add a link to it if you're interested. That's the only thing I do different on all our Macs and it solves lots of issues.

YES! Please do that if you don't mind!!

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 AM

Why it seems to work for some, not at all for others, could be related to third party software incompatibility or even apple stuff, and very likely different hardware in the different mac models.

Though I try to keep clear of too much third party stuff loaded in the background, it would still be nice to try out this script, Eric mentioned.