Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2002, 03:04 PM

Default Market prospect as producer/engineer

Hey all.
I will be attending the Berklee College of Music in Boston and dual majoring (hopefully it doesn't kill me) in Music Production and Engineering and Sound Synthesis.

I was wondering however, what's the market like for me when I get out. I personally think that i am good, really good for the little formal training that I have had in a big studio.
Will I be able to find a job? What should I be making when I get out? What's the top end of the market looking like?

I heard a rumor that Butch Vig got payed 20K for Nevermind up front, which was before Nirvana made a dent in the market. I would just really like to have a feeling for what I will be making.

I know that there is the chance that I won't be making hardly anything, as do all musicians- but what's a reasonable salery? I can't seem to find anyone around my area who owns/works at a studio who has had any formal training in recording so its hard to ask them.

Hey I also need to know this because of the MASSIVE loans I am taking out for Berklee [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In 5-10 years after getting out of college, I plan to own my own large scale studio, which obiviously should boost my pay. Is this realistic? Please help me out!

In addition- will grad school help me out much in the recording industry? I could go and perhaps get my MBA (because its all a business) a few years after school, or work on a Masters (phd someday) in composition or film scoring. I don't know what to do.

Thanks all!
Boston, Mass