Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-11-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Super audio (DoP) in Pro Tools

Hey guys-
I’m wondering if anyone else is recording DoP/DSD in Pro Tools? I am able to stack multiple stereo tracks but due to limitations in I/o, I am unaware if they can be output at the same time. If you are currently recording in this format, how are you using it and are you happy with the way it works? I’ve included a link to the YouTube video I made showing how it’s done:
https://youtu.be/k8qz321MUNU

I hear rumors that the Matrix audio interface is capable of DSD but the feature is locked. Any insight in recording DSD with Pro Tools would be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Kevin
Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Super audio (DoP) in Pro Tools

The MTRX can do DSD and it is NOT locked. Just Pro Tools doesn’t do DSD so you can use the MTRX with another DAW and use it for DSD.

DoP is not true DSD from the standpoint of the DAW. It is just a different way of stacking bits to store a DSD stream. You can’t do anything with “recorded” DoP other than play it back (if you modify it all — level, SRC, anything, it will no longer decide back to DSD.) All the restrictions of DoP are based on the hardware interface that is actually splitting it on the way in and recombining it on the way out to change from DSD to DoP and back. As far as I know, there are no multiple channels (>2) DoP hardware interfaces. Even if there was, it would have to be summed in the analog domain after the DoP>DSD>analog conversion since you can’t mix DSD.

DoP is the kludgy way of implementing DSD storage for things that weren’t meant for DSD. Anyone working with DSD regularly should be working with a DSD aware DAW and using interfaces staying in DSD (like the MTRX/DAD or Merging boxes)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Yeah- I knew I would need to mix on hardware and I’m ok with that. I really just wanted a way to multi track DSD and then bounce down to two track and then keep stacking. Similar to the way they had to do it on tape many years before I was born. Mytek has the 8x192 that I believe does multitrack Dsd 64 but I’m waiting for them to do the Brooklyn XL that will take its place.
Thanks
Kevin
Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 PM

It would be nice if Pro Tools caught up with other daws and supported 384khz as I could then go to DoP 128
🤞
Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 PM

I still don't think you are getting it: DoP is just storage. Who cares what DAW uses it? You can't do anything with those files. Any software program can be a bits bin. Why use Pro Tools -- absolutely none of the functionality can be used with a DoP file?

Use any data recorder (not even audio) to store the file. If you can program, you can even pipe the DoP directly to a file.

And then the decoding happens at the hardware. The DAW is unaware what a DoP file is -- it just thinks it is PCM data. DoP is less than tape even because at least you could edit tape.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:09 AM

I think I understand it just fine. “Why use a daw instead of a bit bin?” Because a “bit bin” doesn’t have synchronization of multiple files with simultaneous record and playback. Can I record the bass in a bit bin and then record a separate guitar line? Yes but they need to playback in time with each other. Why use pro tools when you could use any daw? Why buy another daw when I already have one?