How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Mojave 10.14.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
So which is which? Avid does not qualify against supplemental updates, only the dot-releases.

Now with that said I haven't found any problem with the supplemental updates, but this dotsix is still a moving target. They should get dot-seven out of the door soon enough and then we would have the "last of the Mojave" while waiting for good Catalina compatibility
I’m just trying to supply useful information to the topic of the thread and I feel you keep confusing the issue.

I have 30+ years experience in the field and have been using Digi/Avid audio products since the company’s inception. I am also a Apple Consultants Network member and do Mac consulting and system building for a variety of NYC recording studios.

THE LATEST MacOS 10.14.6 WITH ANY AND ALL SECURITY AND SUPPLEMENTAL UPDATES AND PRO TOOLS ULTIMATE 2019.6 IS WORKING WITHOUT ISSUE ON A VARIETY OF CHEESEGRATER/TRASH CAN MACPROS, IMAC PROS AND MACBOOK PROS THAT I HAVE CONTOL OF.

10.14.6 with or without any supplemental updates is STILL 10.14.6. If Avid isn’t at least checking for catastrophic issues with security updates within a dot release, they need to explicitly state that on their compatibility page. It’s the bare minimum I would expect for my $400/machine fee.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
10.14.6 with or without any supplemental updates is STILL 10.14.6. If Avid isn’t at least checking for catastrophic issues with security updates within a dot release, they need to explicitly state that on their compatibility page. It’s the bare minimum I would expect for my $400/machine fee.
Maybe so. Perhaps you are more competent here, but I've seen supplemental updates in the past change the picture. Just that right now cannot remember any specific case.

Problem with supplemental updates regarding Avid is that most people install them within a day (as per Apple automatic updates) before Avid has had a chance to test them. So what good would a word in compatibility page do? AFAIK supplemental updates don't go through beta program.

Sorry dude, didn't mean to start a flame here...
Old 10-09-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Maybe so. Perhaps you are more competent here, but I've seen supplemental updates in the past change the picture. Just that right now cannot remember any specific case.

Problem with supplemental updates regarding Avid is that most people install them within a day (as per Apple automatic updates) before Avid has had a chance to test them. So what good would a word in compatibility page do? AFAIK supplemental updates don't go through beta program.

Sorry dude, didn't mean to start a flame here...
All good.

You bring up a good point about the "possibility" of a supplemental update to a dot.x release causing issues but those are most often minor updates to Apple applications. Core OS changes "should" always be accompanied with an increment of the dot.x number but I've seen Apple throw a quick vulnerability patch into a non-incremented supplemental update. The issue is that type of thing is a Catch-22 for an internet connected machine since ignoring it for the sake of a remote chance it may affect Pro Tools WILL leave that machine exposed to a KNOWN vulnerability.

But I do stand by my feelings that IF Avid feels there is a reasonable risk in applying supplemental updates to an existing dot.x release, they need to make that crystal clear on their compatibility page. Currently it is not. The average user has no way of telling 10.14.6 from 10.14.6 with one or more supplemental updates applied without diving into the receipts logs.

Sometimes I (wrongly) assume everyone takes the same measured approach to updates as I do. -- Always have a current clone of your startup drive before applying any OS updates, no matter how minor they may seem.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:08 PM

quick questions gents.... will 12.8.1. run on Mohave?
Old 12-27-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaw57 View Post
quick questions gents.... will 12.8.1. run on Mohave?
It’s certainly not supported. 2019.5 was the first Mojave release. Quite a bit after 12.8.1.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:49 PM

Please everyone, just bookmark this

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Old 12-28-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Please everyone, just bookmark this

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
Said it before and I'll say it again: this should be at the top of every page here just like the other hyperlinks. Maybe a separate link as well as in the 'help us to help you' page. There are FAR too many people that post here with issues that are compatibility issues because they haven't or can't be bothered to check that page.

QAPLA!
Old 12-28-2019, 04:51 AM

This page is in the help us help you but needs to be found easier than it is now. A little hidden IMO and should be a direct link in there.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...tibility-Chart

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-10-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I updated. PT 2019 runs smooth. Even at low buffer size. Really impressed.

Is the second time I find a rock solid MacOs/PT combo. The other one was Sierra/PT 2018.3...if I do remember correct.

The inner me says, you should not update if you find the perfect combo...but I will in the end...."facepalm"
Do you mean you went to .4 or .5 ????