Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2015, 06:10 PM

Default PT 11 CPU Overload Error Message

My system has been working just fine and suddenly I got this error message the other day and now it comes up every time I try to play my music back: "A CPU overload error occurred. If this happens often, please try to increase the H/W Buffer size in the Payback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug ins." I can't increase the buffer size because I'm already at the maximum level of 1024 samples, and I'm not using a lot of plug ins. This is what I have done to correct the error so far with no results: I updated to Pro-tools 11.3 and I've updated my Apogee Ensemble Audio Interface software. Oddly enough, when I finally unplugged my Apogee Audio interface and let the music play back through the computer internal speakers, I didn't get the error message. Needless to say, I need to use my interface for recording. Any suggestions and feedback would be helpful. Thanks! Willow
My system: ProTools 11.3, IMAC 27, Core I5, 3.2 GHZ, 16MB, Apogee Ensemble Audio Interface, Firewire
Old 01-04-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Re: PT 11 CPU Overload Error Message

Guess the basics, have you done the suggested optimizations?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/T...oting/en367983

What type of drive are you recording to? (if external, type, speed, connection type will help). What type of internal drive do you have in your iMac and finally, there's been some chatter on the board about trouble with i5 processors as opposed to i7, not saying it won't work, but it's worth a search to find out what other users are experiencing.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
Guess the basics, have you done the suggested optimizations?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/T...oting/en367983

What type of drive are you recording to? (if external, type, speed, connection type will help). What type of internal drive do you have in your iMac and finally, there's been some chatter on the board about trouble with i5 processors as opposed to i7, not saying it won't work, but it's worth a search to find out what other users are experiencing.
Thanks for your prompt response. I also updated to MAC 10.9.5 OS earlier today. I've had my MAC for a few months now haven't had trouble with my I5 processor. I'll try to go through the optimizations you suggested. I record vocals and guitar through my Apogee Ensemble Audio Interface directly into Pro Tools on my MAC HD. I still have 1 TB of space still available. Like I said earlier, everything was working fine until a few days ago. I'm not sure what changed. I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Recording to the system drive(or a partition of it) is not supported. The fact that it worked before, doesn't mean its going to work forever. Getting an approved recording drive added to your setup is very important

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-06-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowbe View Post
My system has been working just fine and suddenly I got this error message the other day and now it comes up every time I try to play my music back: "A CPU overload error occurred. If this happens often, please try to increase the H/W Buffer size in the Payback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug ins." I can't increase the buffer size because I'm already at the maximum level of 1024 samples, and I'm not using a lot of plug ins. This is what I have done to correct the error so far with no results: I updated to Pro-tools 11.3 and I've updated my Apogee Ensemble Audio Interface software. Oddly enough, when I finally unplugged my Apogee Audio interface and let the music play back through the computer internal speakers, I didn't get the error message. Needless to say, I need to use my interface for recording. Any suggestions and feedback would be helpful. Thanks! Willow
My system: ProTools 11.3, IMAC 27, Core I5, 3.2 GHZ, 16MB, Apogee Ensemble Audio Interface, Firewire
Please confirm .... is the error message number, by any chance, 9173?
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)