Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Default [Logic Pro 9 & Artist Mix] Incompatible EuCon version at initialization

Hey guys,

When starting logic, I am confronted with this hideous incompatibility notice:

Incompatible EuCon version.
Please make sure that both Logic Pro and EuCon are up to date.
Minimum EuCon build: 65916

And am given the options to either 'Launch without EuCon', or 'Quit'. Goes without saying that selecting the former simply starts Logic, leaving the surface unresponsive.

-

System and software information

Logic Pro: 9.1.8 (1700.67) (32-bit)
EuControl: 2.6.2 78202
System: Mid-2012 "15 MacBook Pro w/ Retina display (i7-2.7GHz, 16GB DDR3, 768GB SSD), running Mountain Lion (10.8.2).

-

EuCon and Artist Mix information

MC Mix
Protocol: 1.0
Firmware: 1.5.1
PCB Rev: 0
ID: MAC:##-##-##-##-##-## (hidden. tough luck. )

Artist Mix' connection to computer

Surface is connected via an Ethernet cable to a 3rd generation Time Capsule (also acting as a router), which is connected via another Ethernet cable to the Thunderbolt display, and then the Thunderbolt display is connected via a Thunderbolt cable to the MacBook.

When turned on, the Artist Mix is instantly recognized by EuCon, and is added to 'My Surfaces' (as 'MC Mix').

-

Additional notes

I've contacted Avid/Euphonix support (supplied by Brian of OBEDIA), and was told that there are incompatibility issues between the Avid/Euphonix Artist surfaces and the new MacBook Pro's w/ Retina display. These issues are, apparently, caused by the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapters not playing nice with each other. I was offered the following workaround; Connect the MacBook to a wireless router, via wifi, and connect the surface(s) to that router. This does not work. I still receive the same incompatibility notice.

Here's another _very important issue to point out_: Two days ago, I tried uninstalling EuCon from my system, by launching the 'Uninstall EuControl' app (found under /Applications/Euphonix/) and re-installing it from the .dmg, found on the Avid site. As always, the surface was instantly recognized, and when I launched Logic, it just worked! No notification, nothing. It just started, and the surface did it's part (faders went up according to tracks in the loaded project, moving them controlled faders in Logic, and vice versa). The surface was connected via the Thunderbolt display (not wifi!), as detailed above. This means that the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapters function as intended. I thought I had it fixed! --- That was until I launched Logic again today, and was confronted by the very same incompatibility notification.

-

I'm at the end of the road here. It's been almost 6 months since the "15 MacBook Pro w/ Retina display saw daylight (and almost a year and 8 months since the introduction of the Thunderbolt interface on MacBook Pro's), and until now this issue has yet to have been addressed. Avid is not a 'buck-a-share' company, and I find it puzzling to think that they've been unable to allocate resources to patch this. Especially since a huge portion of their clientele are Mac users, and the new Retina models are very popular.

-

Would love to hear absolutely anything. Best,
-w00fa
Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: [Logic Pro 9 & Artist Mix] Incompatible EuCon version at initialization

Same problem here, had to upgrade to Mountain Lion this week, getting Eucon verion incompatible error messages when I launch Logic.

One would think that 4 months after the OS release that sort of issues would be fixed: beside my old Adobe CS3 and Jack osX, Eucon is the only software that didn't survive the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, and I use hundreds of software.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Default Re: [Logic Pro 9 & Artist Mix] Incompatible EuCon version at initialization

Thing is; EuCon _is_ compatible (i.e., it works), it's just buggy!

I had it running perfectly, after Uninstalling and re-installing 2.6.2. But, the next launching of Logic backfired.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00fa View Post
Thing is; EuCon _is_ compatible (i.e., it works), it's just buggy!

I had it running perfectly, after Uninstalling and re-installing 2.6.2. But, the next launching of Logic backfired.
This is unacceptable, I would not have expected the core driver to be broken on Mountain Lion.

Maybe we (or I) just didn't do something right and they will have an answer on Monday.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
This is unacceptable, I would not have expected the core driver to be broken on Mountain Lion.

Maybe we (or I) just didn't do something right and they will have an answer on Monday.
I just used Logic on a two year old MBP with Mountain Lion and the Artist Series.

I just forwarded this thread to SQA for evaluation.

Thanks
JC
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM

So this isn't a known issue? damn.. Perhaps it's a combination of the two (rMBP & ML)?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 PM

Same problem over here. Just appeared all of a sudden after having Logic 9.1.8 and OSX10.8.2 running fine with Eucon. No changes or additions to the OS or software...odd.

regards

Krzysztof
Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM

Are you using the Retina model?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Avid

Hey guys
we couldn't reproduce on a Retina Display MacBookPro running Mountain Lion.

Just FYI...Is there anything different about the new machine?

JC
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00fa View Post
Are you using the Retina model?
I'm on a Mac pro 8 core 2.66/2010.

K