Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 AM

Default M Box 2 and new iMac

Hey all,

so I have read a million threads, vids, tutorials etc on how to install my M box 2 on my new iMac but nothing seems to be working. Im running snow leopard 10.6.1 on 21.5" iMac and have a logitech 5.1 sound system.. All I want to do is hook up my M Box 2 to play audio. Currently sound system is running into composite audio cables into back of M Box 2 with that hooked through USB to iMac.. Tried Pro Tools 8, tried Pro Tools 7.4 and Core Audio driver 7.4.2

Should not be this hard to hook up output sound alone. Thanks in advance for any help!

ps, sorry im pretty new at the audio side so I could very well be doing something very wrong
Old 06-17-2010, 02:24 AM

Default Re: M Box 2 and new iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugg0 View Post
Hey all,

so I have read a million threads, vids, tutorials etc on how to install my M box 2 on my new iMac but nothing seems to be working. Im running snow leopard 10.6.1 on 21.5" iMac and have a logitech 5.1 sound system.. All I want to do is hook up my M Box 2 to play audio. Currently sound system is running into composite audio cables into back of M Box 2 with that hooked through USB to iMac.. Tried Pro Tools 8, tried Pro Tools 7.4 and Core Audio driver 7.4.2

Should not be this hard to hook up output sound alone. Thanks in advance for any help!

ps, sorry im pretty new at the audio side so I could very well be doing something very wrong
Welcome to the DUC/AFF.

So, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that "a million" is a bit of an exaggeration, since there are so many things wrong with your setup...

First off... you'd be better off posting about Pro Tools LE in the LE section of these forums. Unless, of course, you are trying to install M-Powered with an M-Box, which would also be a significant error.

Aside from that... I'm not sure what you mean by "composite" cables... but if you're talking about RCAs... (like what your TV might use for audio), those on an M-Box will not output to a logitech speaker system. You also NEVER want to install the standalone core audio drivers with Pro Tools installed.

Moving on... 10.6.1 is not qualified for any version of Pro Tools. You want at least 10.6.2... and Pro Tools 8.0.3. CoreAudio drivers are already included in installation.

You're going to want some actual monitors for your audio output. Computer speakers aren't designed to output from recording devices, but from the little mini-jacks on a computer. A 5.1 system is also wasted on an M-Box since you can only get stereo output.

Honestly, I would recommend reading up on the fundamentals of digital audio before anything else, or at least a good chat with with the pro audio guy at your local music shop on how to set up a proper recording system.

It's not to say that it's particularly difficult to get sound out of an M-Box, but if you don't understand how the sound is coming through the device, you'll have far more problems than knowing which software version to use.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515