Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Default Could this be clocking?

Hi, and thanks for reading.

I was wondering if any of you might know if this is a clocking issue or not?

About half a year ago I upgraded from a 002 to a HD 2 system with the 96i interface, and ever since then I have not been really happy with the results from the recorded audio. The best way I can describe it is that the audio sounds really flat and extremely un-dynamic like there are some key frequencies missing. Vox and Acoustic guitars sound pretty good, but when I record things like electric guitars and esp Drums the audio sound REALLY muddy and dark, like there is a mask over it. For the most part the style of music I record is what people call screamo. It's kinda like guitars up to 12 and really fast and hard drums. I record everything at 48k 24 bit, and if I don't think I'm going to use that many tracks I'll go 88.2. I've tried all sorts of different things like changing cables, mic location, and trying to record into PT at different gain levels, but it just seems like there is something more going on here. As far as plug-ins go I use mostly high end waves stuff, and I only use eq and compression moderately. When I compare old mixes from the 002 days . They just sound a lot more brit and airy. I have talked to a few people about this and no one seems to have a definitive answer. Oh yeah also all the internal setting are set to +4, and all the mic pres are connected with balanced good quality cables.

If anyone has any suggestions, or has had the same problem I would really appreciate some advice. I'm kinda worried that I might start loosing clients because of this problem.

my signal chain is:
Mac 2x 1.25 G4 /w PT7
96i interface
Focusrite isa 428 for
snair 57
kick Heil pr-40, Bata 52
OH Rode NT4
some guitar

UA 6176
guitar 57, 906, AT 4047
bass direct
vox AT 4047, U87

Mackie Onyx 800R
Toms 57, ksm 27
room

live room is about
24 ft long
10 ft wide
15 ft high

Thanks so much any help would be so so great.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Could this be clocking?

Hmmm... Yes it might be clocking. The first time I tried out my 96 I/O with an Apogee Big Ben clocking it I was amazed about the improvements in the sound quality. The muddy sound disappeared. The bass and mid bass became more focused and three dimensional. Overall Big Ben made a huge difference!

I advise you to try it out for yourself and get a Big Ben or something similar quality clock for the 96 I/O.
Or sell the 96 I/O and get something like an Apogee Rosetta 800. I have the Rosetta 200 and I tried it out alone without the Big Ben and later with the Big Ben and the difference is negligible in my opinion.

Pro-Tools 10.3.10 HD 2 Accel PCIe
OSX 10.10.3
Old 10-14-2006, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Could this be clocking?

Are you using delay compensation? I am amazed by how many people i talk to on a regular basis that use HD or Mix sytems that gripe about that "digital sound", or about how things sound thin when you mix in the box and they don't even know to turn on thier delay compensation or to account for latency by using the time adjuster plugin (mix systems). I guess that what happens when people start on an LE and move to a TDM system. As soon as you start adding plugins or bussing out your tracks, you introduce different amounts of latency (signal delay) into your audio. The latency will produce comb filtering as it distorts the phase relationship between your tracks. You never had to worry about this with an LE system because all the processing was host based. If you have not used delay comesation, turn it on and I am willing to bet that your mix will snap back into focus.