Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Default Problem using Novation control surface with PT M-Powered

Hello,

Here's the hardware and software:
Windows Vista
Pro Tools 8.0.1
M-Audio Fast Track Pro soundbox
Novation 25 SL control surface

I'm connecting via MIDI cables.

Here's the problem:
My Novation 25 SL recognizes the plug-in I've loaded in PT. I can use the surface to control some settings, but the control surface keyboard won't allow me to play the instrument. For example, I bring up the DB-33 in PT. I can control the sliders using the Novation control surface, but the keyboard won't play notes (though I can play notes by clicking on the keys displayed on the screen).

I'm sure I'm missing something fairly basic here. So far:
- Set up AutoMap 3.4
- Went to Setup > MIDI > Input Devices..., and
selected Automap HUI, Automap MIDI, Fast
Track Pro MIDI In, and ReMOTE SL
- Went to Setup > Peripherals > MIDI Controllers tab, and
selected Type=HUI and set receive and send dropdowns
to Automap HUI.

One thing, each time I set up the peripherals as above (which is what the documentation I've found so far says to do), I get the following message: "Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI. Please power cycle HUI and check its connections."

Any ideas? This is killing me.

Juan
Old 12-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Problem using Novation control surface with PT M-Powered

Yeah, there is a similar thing happening to me as well.

I'm using a Remote Zero SL with a Yamaha keyboard running through it.

I think it has something to do with the order in which you turn everything on.
As I said, it's happened to me a few times, then it suddenly works after going back to it - and I can never remember quite what I did!

There's also the Remote's template thingy as well.... I remember scrolling through plenty of those before getting it to work.

In what order are you turning everything on?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 AM

I wondered about that, too. And actually tried rebooting a few of times during the seven hours I spent trying to puzzle this out over the weekend. That said, here's the order in which I power up:

1. Power strip
2. ReMOTE SL
3. M-Audio soundbox
4. Computer

Sounds like there may be compatibility issues. I'm seriously tempted to return the ReMOTE and exchange it for an 61-key Axiom. I would hope I wouldn't have compatibility issues if I was using all M-Audio components with PT M-Powered.

Juan
Old 12-29-2009, 12:13 PM

I understand completely how something like this can get you down, but the Novation controller did receive some great reviews - higher than that of the Axiom from what I've seen.

Automap 3.4 does make mention of better Pro Tools templates as well.
I'll admit that I haven't tried the Remote on absolutely everything within Pro Tools (MIDI Learn for example), because I'm still out of habit relying heavily on the mouse.

But I'll also admit that I may not exactly understand your problem, as I have the Remote Zero SL (no keys), with a separate keyboard connected.
Another difference is that I'm on Windows XP (not that I believe that has anything to do with it).

I would suggest e-mailing Novation support, but I understand if you've lost faith and want to exchange (I think the guy on the digidesign online tutorial videos is using an Axiom isn't he?).

Being disgruntled about a product will definitely effect the quality of the music you're making - you need to be happy and confident, and that will instill motivation.